Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Okay, just looked up the drivers' ed program that is offered in collaboration with our school district. This is what it says.
    All students must have a minimum of 15 hours of behind the wheel practice prior to starting the first day of class.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You're in my state. In order for them to get a license here, you will need 50 hours of driving practice, so not just driver's ed. Driver's ed is great but in our experience it assumed the kids had some driving time already. Our teachers with the community college here were really great.

From our DMV website: What to Do First
    - Be 16 or 17 years old;
    - Take the sample practice knowledge test (optional) to prepare for the Safe Practices knowledge test;
    - Have had an instruction permit​ for 6 months;
    - Get driver training (optional); ​and
    - Complete 100 hours supervised driving experience, or 50 hours if you have taken and passed an approved Driver Ed course​.

Here is what we did. We spent a lot of time just practicing in a local church parking lot that is near ball practice. At the DMV we got a little book to document driving time. We also practiced a lot in the fairgrounds parking lot. Almost every weekend we practiced for an hour. It wasn't that hard, but the first few times were very nerve-wracking! We probably spent at least 10 hours in the church lot, learning how the car works, how to park, how to make turns. Once I felt like she wasn't going to kill us, we went onto the road, and she started driving to school or practice or whatever. She was my little chauffeur. Driving is the most scary thing they will ever do IMO, so getting lots of practice is a really good thing.

Now she has my old car and is just driving herself everywhere.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our driver’s Ed course DC will take this summer requires your permit before the class begins. That means you’ve studied for and passed the written exam. Our course also has 2 hrs classroom instruction and 2 hours driving instruction per day.
    K

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Florida you can get your permit at 15. All it requires is a 3 hr online program. We started out in empty parking lots then the drivers course at the tax collector building ( where they issue licenses ) then our development then on less busy roads. Here you have to have a permit for 12 months before you can take your drivers test. This is #3 for me
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our auto Insurance had a teen driver program where they had to watch a video and answer some questions and we get a discount.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Here in Illinois they have to take some type of drivers ed (30 hrs classroom and 8 hrs behind the wheel and 8 hrs observation) it is done at school or privately. Some schools it's free, but most charge about 350.00. We paid 400.00 for a private place as the school was full and DD's birthday didn't line up.

They can only get their learners permit if they have proof of registration in a drivers ed class. They have to then wait 9 months after getting the permit to take their license test and be 16.

They also have to have 50 hours of driving supposedly before taking the actual drivers test.

In the beginning I had DD drive in empty lots and then quiet streets and country roads and work up to city driving then highway. I'm a very comfortable driver though. She was also eager to practice and drove when ever we had the chance.

Does your state not require formal drivers ed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We also get a discount on insurance due to good grades which is nice.

There are apps that help you track the driving practice.

It helps if they go on streets as soon as possible. Also, if you get car sick easily take something, those fast stops, jerky braking etc gave me a headache at first.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    We also get a discount on insurance due to good grades which isSent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yes, I forgot about that!
    One more thing… We have some magnetic bumper stickers that say student driver, please be patient, that sort of thing. Whenever I see one of these bumper stickers on a car, I make sure I stay far away :-)
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

We started in a parking lot. Lots of parking lot time. Gave us curbs to drive along, parking spots to pull into. Even though there were no cars, we backed out of these spots. It's a hard process.

The biggest thing I will say is once you start practicing driving continue. We live in a state that permits very young. On DS 14th birthday we got his permit and he started driving with us. After three months he was up to driving our "normal" routes to school and common places. Then we started summer and he didn't drive anywhere for almost three weeks. He backslid a lot. I just assumed he'd be where he was but not using a brand new skill hurt.

We started in a parking lot. Lots of parking lot time. Gave us curbs to drive along, parking spots to pull into. Even though there were no cars, we backed out of these spots. It's a hard process.

The biggest thing I will say is once you start practicing driving continue. We live in a state that permits very young. On DS 14th birthday we got his permit and he started driving with us. After three months he was up to driving our "normal" routes to school and common places. Then we started summer and he didn't drive anywhere for almost three weeks. He backslid a lot. I just assumed he'd be where he was but not using a brand new skill hurt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast