elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Should I give this gift for no gifts requested party?

I know based on the title that the answer is obvious, but hear me out. DS2 is invited to a birthday party. We got the birthday boy a ball and a shirt of his favorite sports team. I was just reviewing the invite and in tiny print at the bottom of the message it says "no gifts please." So I won't give the ball, but should I still give the shirt? I already bought it and I think he would like it.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you can return it, I probably would. If not, just discreetly hand it off on arrival. You won’t be the only ones that bring a gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If it makes a difference, I can give it to her the day before the party. I can return it though.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Are the kids extra close buddies? If so, give the gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just be honest with the mom and say you didn’t see the no gifts notation on the invite. I think you will be fine....you could give it pre or post party. I would give the ball and the shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my gosh. I just have to vent. DD got invited to a party where the instructions were “bring a book for K teachers class”. So we did that and bought a nice book. But lots of people brought presents anyway. The birthday kid didn’t seem to understand the books weren’t for him.

Then at another party the kid actually said to me “are you give (other birthday party child) a better present? I hope so!

(I don’t believe this 5yo is badly behaved. He just really doesn’t understand!)

Anyway, sort of off topic but this has grated on me lately!

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    If it makes a difference, I can give it to her the day before the party. I can return it though.
    I would do this if the boy is a close friend. You bought the gift before you saw the note. Most of the time, I think, people who do no-gift parties are trying to avoid more "stuff." To me, an article of clothing is different.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

If you give it, I'd do it before/after so you don't make the people who followed the instructions feel like suckers.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like the idea of doing it the day before and explaining to the mom that you bought it without seeing the request for no gifts. Likely some people will show up with gifts to the party anyway, so that would not be terrible, but I feel that is disrespectful both to the host and the people who don't bring gifts.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes