boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Dog loss this afternoon...how to help the DC?

Our 12 year old dog passed away this afternoon. This is the first pet my DC have ever lost. Any advice on how to help them through the grief process? I am most worried about 11 year old DD.

Thanks!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was about your DD's age when my childhood dog, Thurber, died. My parents had gotten her as a puppy shortly after they got married, so she'd been there even before I was!

The best thing my parents could have done for me (that my mom didn't really do) was to let me cry and howl like I needed to ... and leave me be.

I'm not sure how your DD grieves, but don't tell her how to grieve & let her know it's OK to grieve in her own way.

Sending hugs.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mnj77 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We unexpectedly had to put our dog down on the morning of DD13's sleepover birthday party. She still wanted to go ahead with it even though she was crying up until the first guest arrived. It actually turned out to be a good distraction and smoothed out her grieving process. Probably wouldn't work for everyone, but maybe ask if they would like to get out of the house this weekend?
    DD 2007

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm sorry for your loss. Its so hard. Just let her grieve and take her lead. Give space if she asks for it. Offer distractions if that seems more up her alley.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So sorry you are going through this. We recently had to put down our 12 yr. old cat, that the girls knew pretty much their whole lives. DD2 (11 also) still gets sad at times, but I am trying to encourage her that it is OK to talk about Lucy and to cry, even though it happened a month ago. We sat down together and looked at pictures and I let each of the girls make a collage with their favorite pictures, DD2 wanted to do that. And we are planning a memorial garden to put around where we buried her, so that they have a place to visit her. We still have two other cats, so they have been getting extra love as we each work through our grief. Sending positive thoughts your way as your family goes through this!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DC was about the same age when we lost our first dog. The book that helped the most was the Mr. Rogers When a Pet Dies book.

Also, keep an eye out for subtle behaviors. We though DC was handling it all well, until we realized they were channeling their grief in another way.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's hard to lose a pet. Follow DC's lead. If they want to talk or cry, OK. If they seem like they'd rather not, OK. Just check in with them to see what they're feeling. Sorry about your loss.

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Thank you!!!! It’s been a rough weekend. I have just followed DC’s lead and talked when they wanted to, and just been honest about how we all feel.

Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boilermakermom View Post
    Our 12 year old dog passed away this afternoon. This is the first pet my DC have ever lost. Any advice on how to help them through the grief process? I am most worried about 11 year old DD.

Thanks!
    Let her teacher know too, in case she’s upset. The kids were all super sweet and supportive when my daughter’s friend lost her pet. I’m so sorry, that is so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk