niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Debit card used online

DS used his debit card online. Do I need to get a new card or does the bank account number need to be changed too? There’s no fraudulent activity but the number is now out there for any future data breaches. We have now explained that debit cards don’t have same protections as a credit card and any online purchases go through us with our credit card

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would just notify your bank that you want a new debit card with a new number (and cancel the old one). You shouldn't have to get a new bank account number.

Thanks.. we got a new card.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wait, is it not a Visa debit card? We use ours online every day. I think it has the same Visa protections though!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Wait, is it not a Visa debit card? We use ours online every day. I think it has the same Visa protections though!
    They can wipe out your account. If someone ran up your credit card then you can dispute it and no major problem. If they run up your debit card, well that’s tied to real money and would be really problematic to deal with the loss of money while being disputed. I don’t use my debit card online or at gas pumps (as they’re frequent targets).

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hmm. I was told I have the same protections as a visa credit card. I’ve used my debit exclusively online and for gas for at least 2 years now and intermittently for about 10 or more. I even had a stolen identity problem and no problem recouping or disputing the charges! I remember these discussions about debit cards (like 20 years ago) but thought that Visa worked hard to protect their debit card holders similar to credit card holders.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just saying- if your card is hacked, it’s your bank account that’s on the line. Yes, it’s protected but it’s far more of a drag to have your money tied up instead of your credit line.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Just saying- if your card is hacked, it’s your bank account that’s on the line. Yes, it’s protected but it’s far more of a drag to have your money tied up instead of your credit line.

Yes to this. I had the number changed just in case. DS doesn’t have much in that account, but wanted him to learn it’s not as safe as using a credit card

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Ours is a master card and I have used it online and it has never been hacked. I have had both my regular Master Card, and Visa cards be hacked though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

FYI, I've had my debit card hacked several times and never used it online. The first time we were nearly wiped out but the bank and the company where everything was purchased from (a medical lab supply company!) worked together and had my money back in 3 days or so. The second time was after shopping in the supermarket. I requested a new card, activated it when it got mailed to me and before I even used it, two days later, it was hacked again.
    So my point is that it can be hacked from anywhere, not just online.