Thread: Roblox

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Roblox

Can anyone tell me about this game? What ages is it appropriate for? Any educational value at all?
    TIA

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I personally hate it. We let our kids play because it's a social thing (they have friends who play). But we have all sorts of rules around it. No chatting online (turned off that feature), and before they can add friends we have to approve each request. This is in addition to their regular screen time rules of 30 min on weekdays, and screens only allowed downstairs in the main open area of house where we can hear/see. I know really young kids probably play, but our kids didn't start until they were around 9ish.

Minecraft has WAY more educational value, but is also more work in terms of helping kids learn and taking advantage of mods and learning about coding, etc. Roblox is kind of like the Minecraft-y looking game that you don't need to know anything about anything to play. I hate it!!!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids love Roblox. They play online with their friends. I let them play fortnight too, so I’m not overly strict in regards to video games.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Its a big thing with DS4's 5th grade class they all get online and play with each other.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilotbaby View Post
    Can anyone tell me about this game? What ages is it appropriate for? Any educational value at all?
    TIA
    I am not a fan and won't let DD play.

Some of the user-created content/games creep me out, and that's all she's interested in.

She's allowed to play MineCraft, though, but not allowed to play online.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS3 plays. Educational, not really. Fun, yes. He's allowed to play with his cousin and friends and no one else. He is taking a Roblox game design camp this summer, so I guess there is educational value in it.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)