Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ski lessons

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Ok. I think this is just the same thing I am referring to as ski lessons. Each time I’ve signed them up
    I either pay an extra $25 for the rental or I don’t. One time we rented from a ski shop off the mountain because it was cheaper than the bundled rate. Any way you slice it, the lessons are substantially more than a lift ticket though.
    Probably depends on the resort. At Vail, the lesson package was cheaper then regular lift ticket plus rental, but their lift tickets are probably most expensive in country.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I book full day lessons because it’s basically the same cost and I get to enjoy a quiet lunch. If we have 5 ski days they would have ski school all day the first two or three days then half days the other days but I don’t pick up until after they’ve had lunch.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My kids are 13 and 11 and we still do ski school. Sometimes full day, sometimes 1/2... depending on resort and length of trip. We also sometimes do a private lesson or two. We do school for DS,13, bc he is an advanced skier and my DH can ski everything with him but he really can’t keep up with DS energy. DS can go first chair to last with no breaks so it is easier to have someone who can keep up with him. DD is a snowboarder despite our many attempts to switch her to skiing. We do not know how to help
    or teach her. So she usually does the most school.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mine started out young and probably took 2 ski school days. DH and I wanted some time to ski alone and it worked out perfectly. Definitely invest in ski school as kids listen and emulate the instructor much better than a parent.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

All of my kids ski expert terrain, but still usually spend 1/3 of their time skiing with an instructor (they don't do ski school anymore because they have gone beyond what is allowed in group lessons so we do a private instructor and he takes parts of our family at a time - sometimes all the kids, sometimes just the boys and DD goes with DH because they are the better two skiers). It allows them to brush up on their skills and continue to develop and also to ski technical areas of the mountain more safely and also ski out of bounds with someone who knows the mountain like the back of his hand and also knows how to deal with emergency situations. I'm a lot more comfortable with them going places that require a beacon and axe with a professional.

When they were still learning, they did ski school until they reached the highest level. DD did several winters in a learn to ski club at a local mountain but her brothers always had too many conflicts with hockey and soccer to do that, so they learned pretty much exclusively through our spring break trips.

It really depends on your long term goals whether it's worth the cost. DH is a very, very good skiier and wanted the kids to be able to go where he goes and they all love skiing so we felt like it was a good investment to make sure they were safe and also to create life long skiers who hopefully will continue to come skiing with us as adults. It's one of our favorite family activities - now that we can all ski together it is super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    For fun and to take my mind off the impending apocalypse...

My kids have this year skied 5 days total...so they are still beginners though my son is already skiing some intermediate terrain. My daughter has great balance but is more cautious and not as confident riding the lift I think partly due to her size.

Next year we are hoping for at least 10 days skiing. My DH would like for them to be done with lessons because 1) cost and 2) it's fun to spend time with them skiing. I am a good skier, my DH is not.

Half day lessons are an option at some places but not any cheaper than full day lessons. The place we skied this weekend, full day lesson (10-3) + rental + lunch was $170. Half day lesson (10-12) + rental without lunch was $160.

How long did you keep your kids in ski lessons vs just buying them a ticket? By age or ability? Did you do half days or alternate lesson days and non lesson days?
    My daughter skis at 55* mph (where it’s safe) and they’ve asked her to race - and we still get a ski instructor when we go someplace new. It is amazing what they learn. My younger son who is a good skier goes to lessons when we ski for two or theee days, loves it, and spends a couple of days with parents. But ski lessons are totally worth the money. And at a place like Whistler with lines, if you can swing it, an instructor is amazing and skip the line too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2