Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We have chicken, ground turkey, extra bread, frozen waffles, cod, big bag of frozen shrimp, few large bags of frozen variety vegetables, drumsticks, extra homemade chicken noodle soup in our garage freezer. Garage fridge holds our extra gallons of milk, OJ, cranberry juice, water, seltzer water, kombucha drinks, butter, and eggs.

Our kitchen fridge holds good amount of fresh vegetables, peppers, lemons, limes, few different containers of leftover food that can feed us this week, milk, OJ, tuna, many Jams, a quarter of an onion, endless condiments, different cheese & eggs. Kitchen freezer holds our usual big bags of frozen fruits for smoothie, homemade muffins, breakfast sandwich, different smaller cuts of meats, frozen smaller bags of broccoli, peas, and corn.

Pantry holds our usual dry goods different shapes pasta, few cans of tuna, PB, sunbutter, flour, sugar, baking soda, Cheerios, wheaties, oatmeal, different kinds of beans, red sauce, canned tomatoes, kids snacks, pretzels, noodles, and other stuff I’m forgetting.

I do need to go shopping for more TJ & Costco as halfway through our supply of TP, paper towels, but not gonna stock up like crazy. Just enough supplies to hold us for 3 months if we have to. I also don’t want to stock up our freezers as going away on vacation next month. So I’m hoping my Costco will have those supplies, as totally not looking forward to shop there! If worse comes the worse, I can always use Wegmans as it’s never out of TP, wipes, or paper towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven’t bought anything other than ground pork and stew meat for the freezer since we were almost out. We have ground pork, steaks, stew meat, a roast, pork roasts, breakfast sausage, bacon, Canadian bacon in the freezer. In the pantry I have easily 10 boxes of assorted unopened cereal (I buy on sale and donate extras), several large bottles of pasta sauce, multiple cans of crushed, diced, whole tomatoes as well as tomato sauce and paste. Cans of tuna although I would likely be the only one to eat that. Lots of dried fruit, old fashioned oats in the bulk size, pasta, cake mixes, butter in the freezer, extra flour in the freezer, dried beans, lentils, rice, tortillas in the freezer. I tend to buy multiples when I shop or buy at Costco and donate extras.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We usually shop at TJ's 3 times a week. One big trip for all our weekly meals, then usually again for a few more items we're low on like fresh fruit, and then DH goes every Sun for his work lunch foods and whatever else we're low on. DS1 is 5'11 and 195lbs of all muscle. He eats a ton at every meal and also can't have gluten, nuts, soy, or coconut. Any extra food is eaten by him almost immediately! I made a big shepherd's pie tonight for dinner which filled an entire 9x13 pan to the brim. All we have left after dinner is 1 small serving! We have the smallest french door fridge on the market in our kitchen, which means a super small freezer. We have a regular fridge in our garage, also with a small freezer. Before my weekly grocery shopping trip last week I cleaned out both freezers. Even after doing that I really couldn't stock up on much! I was able to squeeze in 2 packs of chicken thighs, 3lbs of ground beef, 3 single serve pot pies, 3 packs of sausage, and a few bags of frozen fruits and veggies. There's no way that I could fit a single Costco size frozen item in there. Both freezers are packed to the brim already! We have a small galley kitchen with basically 4 deep shelves for our "pantry." Stocking up means buying 1 extra bag of GF pasta and spaghetti, jar of sauce, and some chicken broth! We just have no room for anything extra. I did buy a 12 pack of shelf stable milks from Amazon and a few extra boxes of GF cereal from Target. We have a few boxes of GF pancake/waffle mix.

We do have a large closet with our earthquake kit/supplies and I have a large storage container of shelf stable foods in there. I think I'll pull it out tomorrow, throw out anything that's expired, and replace stuff. We also have 2 large buckets of emergency freeze dried meals (the kind you add water to). The GF bucket has 84 servings of food and the regular bucket has 29 servings. I also have some large cans of freeze dried meals (30 servings total) and several pouches of freeze dried meals in our go bags (another 20 servings). So basically about 2 weeks of freeze dried meals for a family of 4 that we could eat after going through all our fridge/freezer/pantry foods.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My new life hack is to fill up my local grocery app's cart on the weekend and do a grocery pickup once a week. I thought I would find it hard to trust other people to pick out my food, but honestly I have been really happy even with our fruit and veggies. We have a ton of staples in the pantry and freezer. It's not because of the zombie apocalypse, I work full time, all of us are going in 3 different directions all at once, but I feel so much better when I have the meals ready to go easy peasy and I am not shopping several times per week or eating out a lot.

We have a freezer in our utility room full of fish, half a cow from one friend and half a lamb from another friend. The half cow had almost 40 1-lb portions of ground beef, so we are going to be set for a while. Yep it would be boring, but we would have plenty.

In the kitchen fridge/freezer, I have a lot of things in large packages (yogurt, peanut butter, frozen fruit, frozen veggies).

In the pantry, I have 5 or 10 lb packages each of brown rice and white rice from Costco. We have gallon containers full of several kinds of dried beans. And I just bought two 12-packs of Tasty Bite packets from Costco - they are an easy quick meal for my vegetarian athlete, and taste pretty good. We used to take them camping, their Saag Paneer is yum.

My other life hack is that I have an Instant Pot that I use 4-5 times per week, it is a huge help in making things like beans and roasts quickly. That one $70 purchase has reduced my stress level so much in the last year! It's not gourmet but my food is done in a fraction of the time and it's pretty good and healthy. I will still make some fancy stuff and we still grill but this thing is a miracle for every day.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Vegetarian household: Pantry has lots of rice, beans, quinoa, pasta, flour, dried beans, jarred tomatoes, tortilla chips, nuts and nut butters, and some treats/snacks--but I always have those on hand. Have lots of dog food, too. Deep freezer has milk, tortillas, some homemade muffins and bread, and veggies. I have an extra fridge with lots of lacto-fermented salsa and peppers, eggs, butter and cheese. I will need to stock up on some other items from Trader Joes this week. I don't want to have to rely on grocery food delivery if I can help it, especially as those services may be strained in a quarantine.
    Last edited by div_0305; 03-10-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I like to keep a good "earthquake kit" supply of food and water.

At the moment we're pretty well stocked on most of our typical foods. We also have SO many girl scout cookies and way too many frozen bags of fruit from a smoothie box subscription that we can't seem to make a dent in before more shows up. We'll have frozen fruit if/when everything else runs out.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    We also have SO many girl scout cookies and way too many frozen bags of fruit from a smoothie box subscription that we can't seem to make a dent in before more shows up. We'll have frozen fruit if/when everything else runs out.
    See Tag-a-longs would be a perfect food.....

I should also mention we bought a much bigger bag of dog food, just in case. They will be taken care of.

I did buy extra frozen fruit today.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

between hating to shop, shopping at Costco, working full time and generally running like mad, I always have a few weeks worth of food in the pantry/freezer so I didn't do anything special to stock up. Fresh fruits and veggies are the only thing I run out for with regularity so it's about a 4 minute run (from my door to back home) since our local grocery store is tiny and well stocked. Worst case scenario we don't have access to fresh fruits/veggies. We have plenty of frozen fruits/veggies to get us through. Always. We have spare fridge/freezer in the garage and a decent size pantry

Generally stocked on same as pp's:
    canned tuna
    canned chicken
    frozen chicken
    fish sticks and frozen pizza
    more noodles of every variety than I care to admit
    Shelf stable soups
    pb, jelly
    cereal, oatmeal
    cheese for months
    lots of friends with chickens for access to eggs
    Frozen seafood
    tortillas
    pot pies, DH loves pot pies
    And a ton of smoothie stuff. I have recently developed a hate of washing the blender so haven't been using it. It'll pass.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Related to this, one of my fave food bloggers just posted some pantry recipes. https://www.budgetbytes.com/pantry-recipes/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2