Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Throw on some winter gloves or something for railings (including subway).
    You’ll make do on the drive (train, bus...) if you need to. Plenty of people make that type of drive; just ask for tips here.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    thanks! I needed that

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would absolutely go! I think chances of the city being shut down are very slim... and you would have notice so would likely be able to leave before happened. You will be able to enjoy the city with probably the least crowds ever! I was just thinking I wished I still lived there as it is probably the best time to get in hard to get into places.

DH and DS are flying to ski for a week on Friday and are looking forward to no crowds on the slopes.

The only thing I wouldn’t do right now is travel to Europe or Asia or go on a cruise.

I live within the 1 mile "containment zone" that the state announced (not in New Rochelle but in a neighboring town). While we are all a bit hyped up and clearly very concerned, life is not that much different actually. Schools and large gathering places are closed but only in the 1 mile area. No businesses are closed in the 1 mile area. People will be able to come in and out of the area freely unless they are quarantined (the vast majority of us living in the 1 mile area are NOT under quarantine). So, I get that it sounds dramatic, and it is, it is not quite what you might imagine. People are still able to go to work, to the grocery store...
    I'd be cautious about traveling here if I were you but given that it is such a special trip and not easily rescheduled, I'd consider it. You could watch the news to see if it gets much worse in the next few days.
    Feel free to PM with any questions now or in the next few days.
    DD '06
    DD '14

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As you described it, I would go. Sounds like the Broadway show is still happening and that is the highlight of the trip.

We don't know yet if this is seasonal, like the flu (the flu has a protective coating that breaks down in heat and humidity, so it doesn't survive nearly as well in hotter seasons.) Not sure that this At least at this time of year you have a reason for gloves, and if you are like me, you'll be better about not touching your face if you have gloves on. If for some reason you can't fly out of NYC, see if they'll switch your flight out of a different town and drive there. No need to drive 25+ hours! But... most likely you'll be able to fly out as planned.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If you can drive out, I would still go. I guess I was under the impression that a city shutdown would mean virtually no one going in or out by any means. Although I don't know how they could monitor that. I guess they are only nervous about people being in close quarters like on an airplane?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Tough decision. I also think its very unlikely NYC will shut down. I am from there, btw, and my sister still lives there. OTOH, this is unchartered territory (I know, not very helpful).

The getting on a plane part would scare me. Do you know how much of your trip could be refunded or applied to another trip?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about your DH stays home if he’s at risk and getting stuck there would be detrimental to him? I don’t know what I’d do. We were considering Disney for Easter and nixed it and I probably would not plan a NYC trip now but if it was already planned I’d be tempted to go ahead and go
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Personally I am cancelling a driving trip for the family next week to a large city about 5 hours away. Not much planning involved, though I am losing just over $150 from a non-refundable event. But it's not a once in a lifetime type trip, so the risk/benefit analysis tips towards staying home, we can always go another time in the future. I am supposed to be off work next week but the sh*t is about to hit the fan there as well (I work at a large state university), so I'd rather not be too far away because of that as well. The main concern for me regarding your trip is your DH's health issue which requires life-saving meds. That would really give me pause with the current situation.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 03-10-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So if you asked me a couple hours ago, I would have said you should go. However, my brother lives in WA. I just spoke to him. He said the difference between last week and this week is significant in WA. I just don't know what the future might bring. With the lack of knowledge and testing, I am just not sure I would. I guess it depends if you encounter older or immuno compromised people on a daily basis. If you do, I would not go.

What if just you and DD go? Are you both healthy? Does your Dh’s health issues put him at a higher risk?

I’d lean towards going just the two of you. Better this weekend than in one week. Since it’s an extra special event, I wouldn’t jump to cancellation. I’d be tempted to go but understand places might be closed. I’d do indoor things first just in case places close. Then walk around Central Park at the end of the week.

We cancelled our spring break trip next week, but we weren’t planning on going somewhere that exciting. And my boys put their fingers in their mouths constantly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast