Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Covid-19... What were they thinking?

As an only child who is close to my elderly parents (and will be in charge of their care as they age), covid-19 is a huge concern. This morning, my father had a medical appointment where it was appropriate for him to ask about what precautions they should take to protect themselves. The doctor told them to avoid places with a lot of people. We are in a location with MANY case. They left the doctors office and went to the funeral and reception for a neighbor with over 200 in attendance!!!!???!!!! I am livid! What part of protect yourselves since you are at VERY HIGH RISK do they not understand????

I know there is nothing that can be done about it now and that they made their choice. I am just really frustrated that they thought that was a good choice. The doctor had told them NOT to go!

My mom is the same way. She’s in her 70s and has cancer. It’s so frustrating. I did get her to cancel going to the opera in Los Angeles on Sunday. But she refused to stop going to her old people classes. Fortunately today they cancelled the old people classes through the end of May. There was a funny bit on the Daily show about how old people are totally non complaint with social distancing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I am so sorry.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get it. I had to convince my parents to not travel to NYC for a show this weekend. It took multiple conversations for them to agree and it was telling them that they could get their friends sick.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The announcement that got everyone's attention at my CCRC was a ban on ALL visitors to the Health Center (previous restrictions were only on outside visitors, not folks who live here). The sobering exception was for end of life situations.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    My mom is the same way. She’s in her 70s and has cancer. It’s so frustrating. I did get her to cancel going to the opera in Los Angeles on Sunday. But she refused to stop going to her old people classes. Fortunately today they cancelled the old people classes through the end of May. There was a funny bit on the Daily show about how old people are totally non complaint with social distancing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Honestly though, if I was older and had lived my life I probably wouldn't this stop me either. I would probably be at the point where I would do what I wanted, even if it killed me.

Good point about how they could spread it to their friends, though. Nobody wants to be the cause of getting their friends sick.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

OP here, Thanks for the commiseration.

I was going to make sure that I got over there this weekend, but now I wonder if I should keep my distance for a week or two (to keep my household "safe"). I am actually really angry. Especially since the doctor had told them not to go to this particular event!

ARGGGGGG!

I understand the frustration but, honestly, we can't control our parents' actions. Don't let them near your family. If they live with you, that's a different story. Lots of people are going to make bad choices here.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel your pain! My dad is 84 with heart disease. He is stubborn, to put it mildly. He was hell-bent that he would be going to church on Sunday and was not just going to sit around the house, despite my mother protesting. Thankfully church services have now been cancelled but I had told my mom that I was going to swing by and take their car if need be! I was only half-way kidding.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get it!! My mother is on dialysis. Was on chemo for a while. Clearly VERY high risk. I told her LAST week to stock up. Nope. She went yesterday and ..... found no sanitizer, wipes, masks or gloves. But its ok, b/c the dialysis gave them ONE mask each!

THEN she tells me my cousin gave her a coat to hand down to dd1. Its a size S. dd is in a M already and.... its MARCH. We dont need a coat but she tells me how she's going to the post office tomorrow to mail it. NO DONT You dont need to be running around to the PO exposing yourself to germs. No, dont worry she tells me, its fine. I have my mask.

The governor went on and on how we're doing all of this to protect the elderly. ... the ones who raised us, fed us, make sure we got to where we are today. Awesome but couldnt they help themselves a teeny bit too by staying the bleep home if they dont NEED to go out?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast