Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I thought I was the only one struggling with non-compliant relatives! My sister and her husband have two of their adult daughters living with them (very long story), the older one with a 20 month old, the younger with a 5 WEEK old preemie that's only been home two weeks. Sister and husband have been at a different bar or restaurant last friday, sat, sun, tues, wed, thurs. And now - I was just checking in with them and sis tells me she's on the way to the superwalmart to stock up. (This is Friday 13th, at 7pm.) They don't even have enough diapers to last this weekend. Have they been living under a rock for the past two weeks??? How can I make them not be stupid and stop endangering those babies?

I am so there with you. My mom will be 75 in April. She is overall very healthy. She is not taking this seriously at all. She is still going to the gym, went to Costco twice yesterday, plus WalMart and the grocery store. Tonight she's going out to dinner with a friend.
    I told her that based on the recommendations we shouldn't be hanging out with her but based on her behavior it won't make one bit of difference if my germy 9 year old is at her house. I also reminded her that if she ends up in the hospital we can't even visit. She thinks the recommendations don't apply to her.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This all sounds pretty familiar! I told my mom this AM she must not ignore physical signs of illness (like usual) but actual teleconference our university hospital or call me for a ride to the drive through clinic. She's older with several risk factors like most people her age. We will see.
    K

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you all for understanding. My parents are FINALLY taking it seriously. Who knows what they have for food and supplies, but I have told them to STAY PUT!

Today my mother actually apologized to me because I have been saying for weeks that this is going to get very real and very disruptive; she did not believe me!

Now, all I can do is hope that they did not get exposed to something!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am reading a lot of tweets on twitter about parents going to gyms, etc.

I feel you. My in laws just tried to invite us over their house, and this is with FIL who just got released from his 3 night stay at a hospital for shingles. This is in addition of about to start his treatment for his Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Primary caretaker for his 91 year old wife, etc. dh had to tell them no, to please stay in, and we bring/drop off food and groceries to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My parents are killing me. Isn't this the generation who lived through polio, you think they would get it. My mom actually said, for all i have paid for healthcare all these years they can't deny me treatment. WTF, there might not be enough beds!!!!! My dad is in 4 stores a day including a coffee shop. I told him he just can't come over, I won't let his behavior affect our safety.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

This began with Superstorm Sandy for me and my family. I warned my parents for days that this was a big storm and to be sure they are prepared. They told me I was overreacting. Well, they had no power for 2 weeks and they were at my house all the time because I was prepared.

Now, it's me yelling at my dad. He called to make my son soda bread. I declined because we are keeping alone as much as we can. He then told me that the town cancelled all the Seniors Club meetings so they were all meeting up later to go to dinner and drinks. My son is a Type 1 Diabetic and my fear is that if he gets this that we might need to bring him to a hospital and they can't care for him.

My parents live in my very small rural hometown and it's just them -- no younger family members (that they trust) around. They have some health problems, but overall are OK. There's no such thing as grocery delivery there, so they have made a few trips out to get what they need. My mom is fanatical about cleaning and carries around Clorox wipes.

My parents always eat out, almost every day. When I called today, my stepdad said my mom was cutting onions because they were cooking. I thought I had called the wrong house. lol But glad they are minimizing their exposure!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

I am so annoyed with my dad right now. He and I both live in the SF Bay Area, where not only our governor has advised people over the age of 65 to stay home (he'll be 79 in June), but we are under a shelter in place order for all but the most essential functions. Apparently this morning, he went to the post office to mail an N95 respirator mask to my sister, who lives by herself in SoCal. The ridiculousness of what he did is just mind boggling. I told him a couple days ago that the mask is pretty much useless to her without training and that he needs to stay home, but of course he's just so stubborn. Ugh.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2