Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default A covid-19 'what if' thread

So I think the thing that makes me feel most panicky about all this is the thought of being stuck in the house for 2 weeks straight! And potentially longer, if we all catch it a few days apart. I have pretty much everything we really need for survival but I'm the type of person who needs to get out daily for my sanity. If we are all sick and laying around, that's one thing but it sounds like for a lot of people (kids especially) it isn't that awful. So, what's your plan for staying sane if you end up locked inside?

And let's suppose that schools shut down and a lot of businesses too, but your family doesn't show any signs of illness. How far will you take the isolation? Would you take your kids to an outdoor park? Would you still keep routine Drs appointments (anxiety therapy, physical therapy, eye dr) assuming they aren't closed? Would you allow your non-stick kids to play with other non-sick kids?

I can see this becoming a period of way too much screen time here...luckily we do have a backyard that is pretty good sized. Or I guess we could always just drive around in the van for a bit to get out of the house.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 03-11-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, it's recommended that we stay 6 feet away from infected people so I don't see any reason why your kids couldn't ride their bikes outside (if they feel ok) or why you can't get out to walk the dog, etc. The kids should stay away from anywhere other kids or adults could catch it, if they are infected or test positive.

Eta- The news that the Rhode Island principal is 48yo really brought it home for me. He's really, really sick. DH and I are also 48yo and I have asthma and DH's immune system is vulnerable due to his rheumatoid arthritis medication. DH and I are the ones who really need to be careful since right now it doesn't seem to be affecting kids much. So, if the kids' school isn't canceled, I'll send them and make sure they practice good hand sanitizing at school and washing at home. I'll keep my eyes on them for any sign of a sniffle/cough/fever and then keep them home and keep them isolated, I guess. I haven't really thought this through. DH can work from home and I'm a SAHM so I'll just reduce the amount I am out in public. I'll probably rely on my 16yo to run errands for me if things get hairy around here.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 03-11-2020 at 11:54 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

We live on 2.5 acres. So lots of space to play. We will definitely ride bikes, scooters, play outside, weather permitting. I just ordered some puzzles and activity books for my younger two kids. DD will probably just spend hours FaceTiming her friends. I have plenty of food. So long as we have internet and water and electricity, I’m set for about a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Get out and walk, weather permitting! We are predicted to have 2+ weeks of rain, but if it isn't actually pouring, all be shooing my kids out on scooters, bikes, swings, etc.
    K

I fully expect to get quarantined--DH is an ER doc and I am counting on him getting it, if not one of my kids from school. In my case, I am stocking up at the wine store but even that isn't going to get us through 2 weeks of being stir crazy. So here is my plan:

I wouldn't go to a play ground--too many hands touching things. But you could go to a soccer field and run around with your own ball. I will be out walking my dog, I will just cross the street if someone else comes down the side walk. I can run on the trails in the middle of the week--so few people there. I will bike on the various bike trails--again, not going to be a mob of people. You can drive around in your car. There will be lots of screen time, but I have teens and they will be face timing friends etc. We can go out in our yard. You could stop by DI (thrift store) now and stock up on card games and board games--anything new is good. What about puzzles?

You can keep all of your appointments--call ahead if you are quarantined and ask the office if they want you to come. They may not or they may. You will need to wear masks and not touch anything in the waiting room--they will put you somewhere else.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Well, it's real. Just got a robocall from the district that we are closing indefinitely starting tomorrow. This is a district in the middle of Utah. Apparently someone within the district tested positive but they won't say whether it's a student or an adult or which school it was at.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Well, it's real. Just got a robocall from the district that we are closing indefinitely starting tomorrow. This is a district in the middle of Utah. Apparently someone within the district tested positive but they won't say whether it's a student or an adult or which school it was at.
    I wish my district would!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I wish my district would!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It really is a smart move. Hopefully we can avoid it spreading too much in my community. Wish me luck!!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just saw that the Ohio Governor announced a three week spring break for schools starting Monday.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our schools have just closed via the governor! I imagine yours are not far behind.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast