Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Ohio Governor just announced Ohio schools are closed for 3 weeks

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine said at the end of the school day on Monday, March 16th, all schools in Ohio will be closed for three weeks to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
    This includes all K-12 schools, including public, private and charter schools. At the close of school on Monday is when the school closure starts until April 3.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Maryland too, for two weeks. I fully expect our school district to announce it's closing on Monday (a just announced teacher work day/student holiday).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Corie - what happens to make up those days? Is it just tacked on to the end, even if it exceeds the currently mandated June 30? I've got a vacation planned right after school ends (original date)! ugh!!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lil_acorn View Post
    Corie - what happens to make up those days? Is it just tacked on to the end, even if it exceeds the currently mandated June 30? I've got a vacation planned right after school ends (original date)! ugh!!
    Our school has always been good at excusing family trips. You definitely won’t be the only ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have no idea!!

We have Spring Break during the 3 weeks off. Plus, we have a week saved up in snow days that hasn't been used.

So that leaves just one week to make up.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our state too has many closings--mandated from the governor through 3/29. Colleges and universities are included. I imagine it will be extended at least to 3 weeks.
    K

Overnight our county's public schools closed.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know there are emergency waivers that can apply to situations like this. Considering the school closures are nation wide at this point, this would fall into the emergency category. But who knows what states/districts will do. I think it will depend on how long schools are closed for.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am in Ohio too. Currently our district said they have no plans to have make up days. We will be off for 4 weeks because our spring break is scheduled for after this closure. My kids will have some distance learning and frankly we haven’t had a single snow day so I suspect it will almost balance out?

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    I am in Ohio too. Currently our district said they have no plans to have make up days. We will be off for 4 weeks because our spring break is scheduled for after this closure. My kids will have some distance learning and frankly we haven’t had a single snow day so I suspect it will almost balance out?
    Same, my kids will be off for a month total, because our district decided to take spring break as planned. We have several snow days, but they were still within limits (we do blizzard bags), and with this being a validly excused reason, I am not worried about it. Our jr and sr high school kids have chrome books, so my older two will be doing much of what they already do at school. My youngest will get assignments posted online that we can access and I am sure that teachers will probably send home some HW packets today. We did not plan to go away for spring break, so I'm kind of glad. If the weather is nice out, I plan to just have the kids spend time outdoors, my jr high kid loves fishing at our neighborhood pond, he just caught 3 fish earlier this week, so I think that some of the kids will enjoy this break from the hustle and bustle. All sports have been cancelled, which is a huge part of our lives too, so *I* am personally kind of gleeful about that part.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs