Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: schools closing

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Interestingly, Wake County was holding out when nearby districts had already closed.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    I know. They were taking a lot of heat for that it seems. Our district hadn’t closed either though I was expecting it to sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by kdeunc View Post
    I know. They were taking a lot of heat for that it seems. Our district hadn’t closed either though I was expecting it to sometime this week.

Which seems kind of pointless when adults won’t even distance themselves. I drove by North Hills today and it was packed to the gills people everywhere.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Schools here are checking out chrome books and laptops with curbside pickup. Maybe an option for your school. That can be worked around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They have only enough assigned for kids. I asked my son if he knew his login info it's on his laptop, in his locker at home. He rarely has homework so always leaves his chrome book at home. About 25% are free lunch and I'm sure not all families have home internet avaliable, as e learning isn't set up yet, so I've heard that they may not be doing much. It's only one week hopefully as the 2nd week is is spring break. I'm going to have my kids do some reading and some cleaning up/organizing/cooking, it's a life skills week of learning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    anyone remember the old Beck commercial ... and they told 2 friends who told w friends and the friends exponentially multiplied??? Its kinda like that... except on a much bigger scale. 1 person at Biogen infected 90 who infected.....
    ...so many that we don’t have enough testing kits in mass to know.
    fortunately our town officials buckled and closed the schools. Our head of the high school sent out an email that seemed he was shell shocked that the school had closed. Dude, you should have been planning this out for a week or more now. On the other hand, for the lower school where it doesn’t matter, our exceptional head is so well prepared, she sent the kids home with their chrome books, binders, textbooks, instructions for a week off and then to plan for 6-8 weeks of e learning with their login names and info �� Now if we could swap out heads of school....
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The American School in London closed on short notice for last Friday when a parent, Mikel Arteta, was diagnosed. We just got an email last night that we’ll continue to be closed until April 17th. They have a distance learning plan in place and at least for the HS level, all kids are required to have MacBooks.

This despite the fact that the UK has not closed schools.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    The American School in London closed on short notice for last Friday when a parent, Mikel Arteta, was diagnosed. We just got an email last night that we’ll continue to be closed until April 17th. They have a distance learning plan in place and at least for the HS level, all kids are required to have MacBooks.

This despite the fact that the UK has not closed schools.

I told my SIL in the U.K. I would keep my kids home. Hers go to what would be a magnet school here and take two forms of public transit to get there. We’d be home at this point and preparing.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So far we were closed 3 days last week and for this upcoming week. I was surprised it was only one week, I was expecting two but assume they will just extend it.

We have at least one case here bc of the Biogen conference, and this case has 2 kids in the school system including one at the HS DDs go to. Allegedly not in any of their classes but of course that doesn't matter.

A huge sports event my town is part of was postponed recently, most people in town are grateful bc it brings at least 50k (probably more) people here from all over the world for one morning only. It sucks for the athletes bc now their training is off track but totally necessary.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I told my SIL in the U.K. I would keep my kids home. Hers go to what would be a magnet school here and take two forms of public transit to get there. We’d be home at this point and preparing.

I think In the UK the idea was that asymptomatic exposure in younger people will build herd immunity. Of course now there is a lot of data that shows that asymptomatic people also transmit not just coughing/feverish ones so I’m not sure what the thought is.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    anyone remember the old Beck commercial ... and they told 2 friends who told w friends and the friends exponentially multiplied??? Its kinda like that... except on a much bigger scale. 1 person at Biogen infected 90 who infected.....
    This reminded me of that part in the film Contagion where the journalist is explaining how many will be infected and how quickly. It’s point 1:17 on the trailer. This is a fun website: https://mathspig.wordpress.com/tag/contagion-maths/

Thank goodness we aren’t dealing with MEV-1!!!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just got the email from our daycare that they are closed for the next week. The governor requested today that all child care centers and preschools close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10