Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Meal Kits?

Check out local restaurants. I just got an email from one restaurant in my area that is doing delivery service. $80 for a 4 meals. Can pick from 2 salads and 4 entrees (can mix and match), plus a dozen mini cookies. It’s one of the nicer restaurants in the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've tried 5 or 6 companies over the years (some of which are no longer available). The only one we currently use and get almost every week is Marley Spoon. I have 4 kids, 2 who never eat it/super picky. My other 2 - my 7yo will usually eat most components, my 4 year old will eat the meat. DH is pretty picky too and often skips the sauces/dressings. We usually get the 2 person version and just augment the parts my picky ones will eat (e.g. add an extra chicken breast or more rice) which makes it very economical for us. Those of you lucky enough to have children who eat vegetables will likely want the 4 person meals though.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    We've tried quite a few, but are vegetarian, so here's our experience. We miss Plated soooooo much! No one has come close to them for us. I would do their Safeway based recipes when things turn around. Our second favorite was Sunbasket, but they are too heavy on pre-made sauces, from which I learn nothing new to help me recreate that recipe later. Currently, we are doing Martha & Marley Spoon. I was hesitant to try them because it's not organic, but on the other hand, after trying our first meal yesterday, I was floored! The quality of what they sent was top notch, more than enough to feed 4 people, and super tasty. Our least favorites have been Hello Fresh, Home Chef and Green Chef. For now, we are going to stick with Martha & Marley Spoon. If anyone wants a referral discount for these, please PM me.
    So what did you not like about Hello Fresh? I initially liked it because they delivered on Saturday and that their boxes were well organized (each day has it’s own bag), but now the Saturday thing doesn’t matter much as dh is home all day teleworking. We eat meat though so I wonder if that doesn’t matter as much. The only downside I have had veggie wise is Hello Fresh’a broccoli, and some weeks they have too many entree choices with potatoes.

I did look at Marley Spoon and they seemed to have a nice variety of veggies.

Are there any meat eaters here who have used them?

I would love a code as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have been utilizing Hello Fresh for several months. It is easy and keeps out of restaurants when things are crazy. I initially got it because activities were every night, but since everything has been canceled I may stop it. The food has been pretty good, though my one complaint has been the sides as they are always potatoes or rice with green beans or broccoli. It is getting old.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    So what did you not like about Hello Fresh? I initially liked it because they delivered on Saturday and that their boxes were well organized (each day has it’s own bag), but now the Saturday thing doesn’t matter much as dh is home all day teleworking. We eat meat though so I wonder if that doesn’t matter as much. The only downside I have had veggie wise is Hello Fresh’a broccoli, and some weeks they have too many entree choices with potatoes.

I did look at Marley Spoon and they seemed to have a nice variety of veggies.

Are there any meat eaters here who have used them?

I would love a code as well.

Hello Fresh uses ingredients that have artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives that I don't like in my food. For example, they sent tortilla strips that were multicolored--not naturally. I'd have preferred just plain tortilla strips with no artificial color. We thought their ingredient quality was overall poor compared to the other companies. For the most veggies though, Sunbasket really has the upper hand there!

Sun Basket is the only one we’ve tried and it is decent. Wash all the produce even if it says prewashed, meat is sealed by organic provider so not handled except for the packaging and spices sealed in packets I’m sure long ago. We started it again since it is lower risk and already planned out for you, for a couple of times a week. And can order some things we can’t get locally around here too, from chicken breast to cherry tomatoes at times.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Ive wondered that about the washed, bagged lettuces and spinach. Should I wash it before I eat it? What about apples, kiwi, blueberries? Safe to simply rinse with water before eating?
    You should always wash fresh produce even if it says “prewashed.” We don’t buy those bags of salad higher chance of food borne illness than a head of lettuce or intact hearts of romaine. In the meal kit, we wash produce well and then it is cooked and not served as a salad. Wash all other fruits and vegetables too. Even without Covid19.

boss1 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I would love a code for Marley Spoon, if anyone has one. I'm thinking of giving this one a try.
    Crystal

DS - 10 Years old
    DD - 4Years old

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boss1 View Post
    I would love a code for Marley Spoon, if anyone has one. I'm thinking of giving this one a try.
    If you still need one, PM me

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My favorite is Blue Apron. The meals are good, although cooking can be a little more time consuming as some of the recipes are fairly complicated (compared to Hello Fresh anyway).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast