Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids aren’t getting any of this. DH and i are working from home and my 6 and 8 year old are doing whatever. I try to spend an hour doing math/writing with them. They are doing banangrams while I work. Otherwise they are playing or watching tv. I am not sweating it and not doing what I see others doing. No drawing with Mo Williems or interesting science experiments. We are surviving and my kids seem good so I am letting it all go.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Pick one or two things and call it good. Pick things that a couple of the kids can do together. Dance? Maybe some of them would like it.

Right now, DS1 is doing all of his optional stuff for his AP classes. Nothing else, really, unless he's bored. He's also watching movies, playing MInecraft with friends, and reading. DD and DS2 have done very little school work this week. Some of their teachers have stuff posted on the class page, and they've each done a bit, but not much. They will all be fine.

We've played board games and card games. We watch movies. It was warm today, but rainy, so we aren't even outside much yet.

I really don't think they are expecting parents to all of a sudden homeschool their kids.
    Kris

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Don’t worry about missing an assignment. The reality is we will be unable to grade most of this stuff (how will we get the packets back) and not everyone has the same online access. No one really knows what they are doing. A lot of middle and high schools already are set up for online access, but elementary is not. As teachers we know when we start back next year, we will have to reteach a lot of the 3rd qtr material. Thankfully the school year was about 75% over, and a lot of the main instruction was winding down as testing was about to begin.

You’re a great mom, and your kids are going to be fine whether or not you do every assignment your teacher sends home!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The others addressed your post better than I could but just wanted to throw out an easy option for audiobooks.
    https://stories.audible.com/start-listen

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I would read, do 1 math activity, then one creative activity (art, music, dance). Then let them play

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    The others addressed your post better than I could but just wanted to throw out an easy option for audiobooks.
    https://stories.audible.com/start-listen
    Thank you so much for sharing!! We’ll start listening tomorrow!!

OP - Anne of Green Gables was another fave here.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are seeing this time as a chance for DS to catch up/get a better grip on his math, as he is a bit behind. So an hour's reading and an hour's math, broken into parts,and then "life learning" - cooking, cleaning, something useful. Today was beautiful outside, so after an hour's yard work - he got to learn how to drive the tractor. He's thrilled!
    So - one hour reading, one hour math, one hour chores, one hour life learning for 5th grader. Broken up into pieces.

Bonus - he's realizing how much work Mom does at home.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Someone posted this on FB today and I totally agree. We got an email from DS2's principal today that basically said the exact same thing.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    My kids aren’t getting any of this. DH and i are working from home and my 6 and 8 year old are doing whatever. I try to spend an hour doing math/writing with them. They are doing banangrams while I work. Otherwise they are playing or watching tv. I am not sweating it and not doing what I see others doing. No drawing with Mo Williems or interesting science experiments. We are surviving and my kids seem good so I am letting it all go.

Drawing with Mo Willems is the one thing that they do! I was able to help DS to learn to find it on the Youtube account on the TV, so they can set it up and do it without adult help. We got ABCmouse for DD.

It seems all the things that would be good for my kindergartner require a significant amount of adult help or interaction. Which totally makes sense, she's 5, she's not supposed to be able to work that independently yet! But it's hard to give her that much attention, even when I am getting home earlier, I am stressed and exhausted and helping her write out all the green things in the house, taking a photo, then emailing it to the teacher seems like a lot of work for me. Or goodness taking a video and uploading it to somewhere for the dance teacher to view.

Is there a way to play those audible stories on Alexa? They may like that...
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Is there a way to play those audible stories on Alexa? They may like that...
    Yes!!! Once you download your Audible book just say "Alexa, read my book" or "Alexa, read [title of book]." You can even set a sleep timer on it by saying "Alexa, set a sleep timer for 15 minutes, etc."

I listen to Audible books all the time through our Echos.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast