Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My 3rd grader & K get the same; emails from their teachers with google links etc. read out loud books, interactive virtual visits to zoos and the like. Dh and I are working from home and only have little time to do all that.

Having that said, it’s totally ok to do just one activity and free play rest of day. My 3rd grader is bored every morning, so he actually do all his google links and assignments. Only takes him 2-3 hours a day and helps his little brother to do the reas our loud books, science activity. We all break for lunch then afterwards every afternoon they play outside, bike, chalk etc or watch movies and iPad if rainy out.

It’s survival at this point. So do bare minimum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My high school student has virtual school every day. She has figured out her own schedule and does schoolwork for about 4 hours a day. HOWEVER, it took a week to get to this point and now she is doing this fairly independently. We have had a few tech issues, but otherwise she is on her own. There is NO way she would be doing schoolwork if one of us had to sit with her. I know some parents are doing so, but DH and I have our own work to do and I will not fight with a child about school work, especially when the family is isolated together for an indefinite time.

I say pick one or two things a day to focus on. If possible, contact the teachers and ask what they think is most important for your child. At this point, most teachers are struggling to get anything out to their kids. It will take TIME for things to become organized and into a simplified format.

At the same time, there are parents mad that their kids don't have enough school work, some teacher are catering to them. Honestly, we are all going to be together as a family unit for a LONG time. Whatever your family needs to do to keep everyone safe and happy is the right thing.

I agree with dualvansmommy, we are all in "survival" mode at this point. Too much screen time, too many cookies, flexible schedules.... it all HAS to be okay for awhile...

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I’m a teacher.

Pick ONE THING a day to do in addition to reading. Being read to counts as reading time. So - 15-30 min of reading in the AM and 15-30 min in the PM and one other thing, like math practice on IXL (or similar) for 20 min.

Teachers know and understand that parents have jobs. We are trying to balance requests from tiger parents with the needs of families in which both parents are on the front line. Don’t worry. Kids are always learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Honestly, I would go online and purchase audiobooks for your kids. They can listen to books that are way ahead of their reading level and get so much out of them! Spend $50 and your nanny can rotate through them. You can most likely borrow some through your local library but to eliminate extra work for you I would buy them. Our favorites were in constant rotation here. We listened to audiobooks for YEARS in our house! Best of luck - we’re all trying to do the best we can!!

Our favorites:

A Bear Called Paddington read by Stephen Fry
    Charlotte’s Web read by E.B. White himself
    Trumpet of the Swan read by E.B. White himself
    Magic Treehouse Books Mary Pope Osborne reads them herself - they’re wonderful! We borrowed these from our library.
    Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face by Jack Prelutsky
    These are both really great pieces of advice. And a great list of audio books. Our libraries are closed, but you can still download electronic items on your account.

Your kids will be fine. Do 30 min of reading, 30 minutes of math practice (counting, facts, Xtra Math, etc), let them draw and write stories for 30 min. and do 30 min on Scholastic distance learning for their specific grade levels. They can do the Scholastic on their own. The Scholastic is free and well put together materials. Very fun and engaging. Here's the link: https://classroommagazines.scholasti...arnathome.html
    K

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3