Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just saw a post suggesting folks sew Norwex cloths into face masks.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

like others, I've unfriended these guys for the most part. I had a almost hilariously ridiculous encounter with a mutual friend who is extremely successful with Norwex and she was so incredibly rude and antagonistic on my public facebook page as well as by PM. She is so friendly and "likeable" but she literally confirmed every negative assumption I have always had about every MLM I have ever encountered. I thought maybe she was an exception because so many of my friends are friends with her but NOPE just like all the rest...I agree some of the products are nice but just the fact that they are MLM makes me hate them. Also, the whole MLM culture has made people very suspicious of anyone recommending anything at all! So even though I've always been really careful about my product recommendations and affiliate links with blogging....people are naturally extremely skeptical....affiliate marketing is quite different but it gets painted with the same brush which is unfortunate.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have one friend selling essential oils and she is tricky about it. She invited me and some friends over without saying why. I thought it was just for coffee until another friend gave me a heads up about what it was about. I called her out on it and she said, “well, yes, I was going to talk about them, but they are so great!” Any twinge I mention around this friend and she has an oil for it. So annoying. Over Christmas their household had an outbreak of stomach flu. Dh snickered and said, “I would have thought they had some essential oil for that.”

ftr, I know a lot of people love essential oils and I use them in crafts sometimes but I don’t want them pushed on me or my children, especially in unsafe ways (like drinking them or putting them undiluted on skin), etc. When I make it clear that I’m not interested, with a long explanation why, quit pushing them on me!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you haven’t listened to the podcast The Dream I highly recommend it. It’s a fascinating look into the dark side of MLMs (season 1) and “wellness” products and businesses (season 2).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    If you haven’t listened to the podcast The Dream I highly recommend it. It’s a fascinating look into the dark side of MLMs (season 1) and “wellness” products and businesses (season 2).

wendibird22, the podcast Illegal Tender has a few episodes re: MLMs. They didn't have really any new revelations different from The Dream, but still interesting. Other topics they've done were also interesting! (fake heiress Anna Delvey, fracking empire builder Aubrey McClendon, the Opiod crisis).

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post

OMG thank you!! I hadn't heard of this podcast, and it SO right up my alley!! I listened to the first couple episodes the other day.

It made such good points!

My biggest beef with MLMs is not the products (some MLMs have pretty good products in my opinon, like Tupperware, LipSense, etc) but the whole pyramid-scheme core of so many of them (which this podcast totally describes well). and the tacky, predatory social media posts (e.g. "are you looking to make some $$$ in these scary times? join my team and work from home!!") it just seems so morally wrong.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Also, the whole MLM culture has made people very suspicious of anyone recommending anything at all! So even though I've always been really careful about my product recommendations and affiliate links with blogging....people are naturally extremely skeptical....affiliate marketing is quite different but it gets painted with the same brush which is unfortunate.
    This is SO true and i was just thinking about this. I actually was just watching a YouTube video on this- affiliate links are indeed, TOTALLY different. As are sponsorships, referral codes, sales comissions, etc. Many Youtube influencers speak loudly against MLMs, though of course many earn $$ through sponsorships or affiliate links - i have always seen that is completely different...as in the case of affiliate links they get benefits from others buying an actual product....they're not trying to sucker others into paying hundreds of $$$ to join something that has 95% likeilhood of them losing money. The primary core of MLMs is not getting people to buy products, is getting people to sign up under them, with the guise of them earning money from selling products, but really the only way they make money is getting others to sign up. the more and more i read, i seriously don't get how people dont' see how it literally is a pyramid scheme. i think this sort of thing should be taught in schools to prevent folks from falling for it!

someone was just telling me how with this corona virus thing, they are hearing relatives (especially elderly ones) put in their last $300 to some MLM guaranteed to bring them in thousands per month. That is so criminal...

Now I am seriously tempted to sign up for Norwex because they are going to be making personal use masks with silver in them! 🤔 that sounds so much better than making them out of sheets, DIY style.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Now I am seriously tempted to sign up for Norwex because they are going to be making personal use masks with silver in them! �� that sounds so much better than making them out of sheets, DIY style.
    It's just a marketing ploy. The filtration numbers friends are touting on their Facebook posts aren't any better than cotton sheets and the mask itself doesn't appear to fit the model well.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    It's just a marketing ploy. The filtration numbers friends are touting on their Facebook posts aren't any better than cotton sheets and the mask itself doesn't appear to fit the model well.
    I didn't see the numbers....ok cool. Thanks. Lost my head for a minute.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2