Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We closed Wednesday, March 11th. (Washington State)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    That was only two days before they announced 3/13 was the last day in most public schools in California. Oregon schools also announced they were closing that day as well. My Dd1’s school (Catholic) got notice on 3/12. I think Hanna Addict has said her kids private school in Seattle (?) had closed at least a week of two before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Michigan was announced on the 12th and many closed the 13th. My kids went in to empty their lockers. Seems a lot of states were within a few days of each other.
    Kris

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t think any will go back this semester, realistically.
    K

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sarasota County FL is currently out until April 15. Virtual school starts April 1
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We were one of the first closed (Washington State), and are closed until 4/24. We have remote conferences next week and will learn more. Distance learning is not an option for us, our district is far too poor. I expect we are closed for the year, but no one wants to make that call yet.
    About 70% of the kids in our district receive free or reduced lunch officially (so, in fact everyone receives a free meal in the entire district since that threshold was hit! they actually get breakfast, lunch and dinner!). We have distance learning in place. There are laptops and hot spots available at the school to pick up for families that need them or paper packets in the younger grades. Free Audible subscriptions to get books if they have devices. It seems your school could do more to work grants and resources out there to support students. At a minimum, provide some enrichment work vs quit learning entirely.
    eta- that was a bit too flippant. If many of your families face homelessness then I understand if the concerns are much more than access. If we are talking no electricity to power a device then that level of poverty if much harder to handle. But, I still feel like there are solutions. Abandoning education from March until ?? leaves those kiddos in a worse spot.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-23-2020 at 09:14 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Originally, they'd said 3/30 and I thought that was silly, considering that's a short week leading into our Spring Break.

Now, they've said 4/13, and I think that's far too optimistic based on the latest numbers from the dep't of health, new testing centers, and New York State's orders, which seem to serve as a decent model for what NJ does.

I'm going to have a virtual meeting for my Girl Scouts sometime this week, likely Wednesday or Thursday in the late afternoon/early evening, just to check in with the kids and figure out how to finish up our citizen science leadership journey & take-action projects while we're socially distancing.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

The N.C. governor just extended school closures through May 15. He said he was't ready to pull the plug on the whole year, and bless him for that. lol Schools right now are scheduled to get out on June 12, so that's about a month. *fingers crossed*

Meanwhile, I have no idea what to do about summer camps. DS mainly attends camp at the Y, which opened registration about two weeks ago, I was all set to make deposits. But then school closed, so Y aftercare closed, and then the Y itself closed. I guess I can still safely register for basketball camp, which is held the last week of June at a local college.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    About 70% of the kids in our district receive free or reduced lunch officially (so, in fact everyone receives a free meal in the entire district since that threshold was hit! they actually get breakfast, lunch and dinner!). We have distance learning in place. There are laptops and hot spots available at the school to pick up for families that need them or paper packets in the younger grades. Free Audible subscriptions to get books if they have devices. It seems your school could do more to work grants and resources out there to support students. At a minimum, provide some enrichment work vs quit learning entirely.
    eta- that was a bit too flippant. If many of your families face homelessness then I understand if the concerns are much more than access. If we are talking no electricity to power a device then that level of poverty if much harder to handle. But, I still feel like there are solutions. Abandoning education from March until ?? leaves those kiddos in a worse spot.
    Actually there’s research to show that online learning ends up being worse for struggling students. There’s an article I read recently that showed at school and college level, students do not do as well in online classes. Going online can further the divide. Those students who aren’t struggling and have support at home, get further ahead. While other students fall further behind.

I’ll find the article and post it

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Actually there’s research to show that online learning ends up being worse for struggling students. There’s an article I read recently that showed at school and college level, students do not do as well in online classes. Going online can further the divide. Those students who aren’t struggling and have support at home, get further ahead. While other students fall further behind.

I’ll find the article and post it

That makes sense!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast