Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

From what I've heard, it is a VERY small study, like started with 26 people and ended with 22ish. (Just from the news, I haven't read the scientific papers or anything.) It said the "detectable" virus appeared "less concentrated / lower" in the nasal testing, but they couldn't really determine if that was significant reducing symptoms, let alone saving someone from death or going on a ventilator. It just wasn't a large enough study.

It'd be amazing if it turns out to be helpful, and I hope hospitals are attempting its use with certain patients, but at this point they just don't know.

That the mentioned drugs shot up on the official FDA list of scarce drugs because doctors and dentists are getting it for themselves and/or "favored" patients who probably don't even have the virus at all is just sad and frightening for people who currently need the drugs for their intended purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    Yes to all of this. Please please please don't try a do it yourself remedy. It has already killed one in AZ. Shortages are very alarming in the pharmaceutical world on a normal day. This is creating a downright disastrous situation.
    The drugs have risks. Prescribing them means that the prescriber weighed risks vs. benefits for the patient. And it has only been tested on people in ICUs--not at their first sign of fever/cough/etc. People are putting themselves in danger by doing this. Drives me nuts. I hope cautionary tales like the death in AZ get shared. I feel sorry for that person, but they need to be the example. It is especially infuriating that prescribers who should know better are driving the shortage by getting the meds for themselves.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    The drugs have risks. Prescribing them means that the prescriber weighed risks vs. benefits for the patient. And it has only been tested on people in ICUs--not at their first sign of fever/cough/etc. People are putting themselves in danger by doing this. Drives me nuts. I hope cautionary tales like the death in AZ get shared. I feel sorry for that person, but they need to be the example. It is especially infuriating that prescribers who should know better are driving the shortage by getting the meds for themselves.
    Agree with everything you posted. There is an entire segment of red baseball hat folks promoting the idea that doctors or “the media” are suppressing this info to get Trump. My BIL’s feeds are full of this as he ignores actual science. Hope there is actual data or a real trial vs irresponsible promotion of a miracle cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I doubt very much that any shortages are being driven by providers prescribing to themselves because the studies are so suspect. However, they are being used in most ICUs for critical patients. A family member takes this for lupus. Her MD wrote her a 3 months supply (as usual) and the pharmacy refused to fill the prescription. It started with ‘we don’t have it, we’re short’ to eventually, when I showed up to argue, with the fact that they were refusing to fill it in case there was a shortage. And why would anyone need a 3 months supply so she must be hoarding. Um, no, my 75 year old aunt with lupus is not hoarding, she’s been taking the same dose for 5 years you idiot. She literally called me in tears from the pharmacy because they were telling her she was not going to get it, and I had to drive over to argue with them
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My friend has multiple health issues and depends on that drug, And she’s unable to get it. She’s in a bad state right now, and she’s also at very high risk if she gets C19. Sigh…
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A respected doctor that I follow on Twitter recommended this thread in regards to questions about the drugs that are being tested for the coronvirus. I thought it was helpful:

https://twitter.com/Rfonsi1/status/1243538587116855297

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2