klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Apparently Look for the Helpers is bad

So, in the last few days, my old high school and college have both put posts on Facebook about donating unused equipment (gloves, masks, etc.) to a local hospital. I shared both just saying "Look for the Helpers" as a happy in these times. This morning, I got a notification that my brother commented. I knew before looking at it that this WAS NOT GOOD. He rarely comments unless he's mad. Today was no different.

Basically, he ranted that that's tax payer funded material and if he went to the hospital they'd charge him normal price for that equipment. AND that they were breaking the law because the governor hasn't allowed them to dispose of their equipment that way. Honestly, he may be right, but you know what? I DON'T CARE. They gave up equipment that wouldn't be used this school year to help those in need. And all he could see was how evil everyone involved was. Oh, he also argued that they never should have had some of what they were giving away, too...

Rant over. At least for now.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our country is in a crisis mode. If there are supplies that will be unused by schools or colleges, then definitely the hospitals should get them!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would lose my sh&* if I got a response like that.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

While I agree that it is stupid to complain about donations like these in a time like this, and I know this is the BP, it doesn't have anything to do with "look for the helpers". Not sure about schools, but federal entities are not able to donate to whomever they want, there is a process to not show favoritism and ignore congressional mandates. We just had something similar happen where people were gathering lab supplies to donate locally and someone stepped in, insisted on following the protocols. They looked like a huge jerk though, and seems like the time to just use common sense for once. I'm hoping the process is sped up or over-ridden in times like this!