Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Here’s an article about it. Sounds like others received the same kind of welcome as your dad https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/coro...212622496.html

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You’ll just have to take my word for it. But they aren’t from New York, it’s not a different state, if they got sick, it would be the same hospital that they’d go to. There are no restaurants, grocery stores or even post offices. It’s not a party, it’s two people and a dog who brought all their own food and using their own well and aren’t taking a thing away or endangering anyone.

This is insane. These restrictions are not even science based. My husband and I are in people’s faces all day and people think they are being threatened by licking it off a rock on the beach! Never mind all the walking trails being closed, etc, makes no sense. All this is losing me, and if I’m lost I don’t know who is left.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I totally understand. If I owned it, I’d be tempted to shelter in place there too. I came really close to renting a lake house (back before things really got real) but ultimately didn’t. We would have been close enough to home that we would have come back for almost any medical care and would have brought our own supplies.
    Rational or not, people are worried. New people equals a new chance for the virus to arrive. But, the article I shared is where people are coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I am sorry he experienced that.

I do understand. My ILs have a similar vacation home in their same state just a couple of hours from their primary residence. There are no restaurants, stores, post office, gas stations, etc. The people with property physically closest to them do live there all year, but they are the only ones I know who do. It is a place people pack a cooler to go for a weekend because there are no conveniences and it is remote. When things started taking off, the IL discussed going there to be on the water. DH thought it was a good idea at first because it is beautiful, there is a deep freezer there, etc., but then advised against it because they are older and if they needed any kind of help totally unrelated to COVID 19, they’d have to rely on each other, that neighbor, or 911 which would take forever because of how remote it is. One had a freak accident and broke a bone last year and needed 911 so that did convince them to stay at the primary residence, but eventually everyone was told to stay in primary residence.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    You’ll just have to take my word for it. But they aren’t from New York, it’s not a different state, if they got sick, it would be the same hospital that they’d go to. There are no restaurants, grocery stores or even post offices. It’s not a party, it’s two people and a dog who brought all their own food and using their own well and aren’t taking a thing away or endangering anyone.

This is insane. These restrictions are not even science based. My husband and I are in people’s faces all day and people think they are being threatened by licking it off a rock on the beach! Never mind all the walking trails being closed, etc, makes no sense. All this is losing me, and if I’m lost I don’t know who is left.
    I understand. In Minnesota where we used to live, there were a few houses on islands. They are old, have been there for decades and are part of the local community but they are also difficult to get to. If your family has owned it for that long, haven’t the neighbors seen them walking around? I’m sorry your dad had to deal with that.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I understand. In Minnesota where we used to live, there were a few houses on islands. They are old, have been there for decades and are part of the local community but they are also difficult to get to. If your family has owned it for that long, haven’t the neighbors seen them walking around? I’m sorry your dad had to deal with that.
    Yeah, they knew who he was, just wanted to be nasty. They correctly stated my dad's profession right after.."You're a ___, aren't you?" and they knew which house he lives in.

They are busybodies up in everyone's business since they have little better to do. They have a little clique of ~25 people who think they own the place and speak for everyone.

But if my DH is treating all the sick and I am in a one of the specialties most likely to get infected...I think people who live on an island should shut the heck up.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just read this article and thought of this thread

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...low%3Afacebook
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If I were your dad, I would reply, oh, you must not recognize me. I’m Dr. Tim Smith. We’ve owned this house for nearly 50 years. And just keep walking. Super rude for sure.

They are entitled to go to their own home and certainly aren’t burdening anyone to do so. I think it’s a great idea for them. People just want to be ugly sometimes.
    K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2