Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default "you aren't from here"

A few weeks ago, when I thought this was going to start to get bad, I told my parents to expect to be home for a while. My mom is retired and my dad can work remotely by email/video conference. They have a beach house on an island. The land was purchased by my grandmother's father in the 1920s. The house is a repurposed WWII Navy barrack. It sounds bougie, but it's really quite a bit less than that. We've quite literally been there 100 years, but no one lives there full time.

But in a case of quarantine, if you can, why not be on the beach? So I advised them to stock up, pile the contents of their freezer into a cooler, and head over. They listened.

My dad has been using his phone as a hot spot and working on his laptop at the kitchen counter. My mom brought her sewing machine and has been quilting. They take their dog for walks on the beach, but there's really not much else to do there (by design).

The other day, a man stopped my dad and his 10 lb dog saying "you aren't from here, are you??" in a nasty tone of voice. My dad has only been going to the island for...about 45 years now, since he met my mother. They've put up things on Facebook and signs up saying people from New York aren't welcome, that the island is "Closed to visitors", etc.

It's ridiculous. This is super serious, clearly, but no one is getting COVID by walking on the beach. Be scientific, be realistic, be careful, but don't be a stupid xenophobe. DH, who is Chinese, says he is tempted to take a trip over just to walk around in scrubs fake coughing and REALLY upset people...
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The xenophobe, racist sentiments are just horrid. My dad told me that his friend was spit upon last week for being Asian. The stranger went up to my dad's friend, spit on him, and ran off. I am appalled and disgusted by this racism.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think all resort areas are upset but the influx of people showing up mostly (from what they’ve said on interviews on NPR) is that they don’t have the resources (or hospital space) for extra people. That makes sense but geez. I’m sorry your family experienced that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think all resort areas are upset but the influx of people showing up mostly (from what they’ve said on interviews on NPR) is that they don’t have the resources (or hospital space) for extra people. That makes sense but geez. I’m sorry your family experienced that.

^^^ your Dad's neighbor was inexcusably rude, but yes, places that are usually resort areas are freaked out at the influx of people fleeing the cities hit hard by coronavirus-- that resources will be outstripped and it will increase spread of the virus: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/n...ion-homes.html

I now live in Vermont, and we saw this in mid-March, when the virus was spreading in NY & NJ, schools were closing, so people came up to Vermont to ski. A pulmonologist friend of mine, who is part of our COVID-19 response team said at the time, "we're screwed".
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It’s not a resort. Don’t want to give away the place. But goodness it is so far from a resort. There is no grocery store, not to mention a hospital or doctor or anything!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    It’s not a resort. Don’t want to give away the place. But goodness it is so far from a resort. There is no grocery store, not to mention a hospital or doctor or anything!
    Didn’t mean resort that way. Meant vacation destination. Outer banks closed to non residents. The Adirondack region said too many vacationers are showing up. So, a beach town anywhere would qualify.
    No hospital, Dr., etc would stress things even more knowing that there isn’t the ready infrastructure.
    I just realized this was in BP though! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

That’s the issue with the Shore homes here. In fact, our governor is telling the primary residents with 2nd homes down the shore to stay in their primary homes. Not to go down and overwhelm the smaller local hospitals cuz it’s still off season. I thought that was very fair, but regardless that man sounds like an ass though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    That’s the issue with the Shore homes here. In fact, our governor is telling the primary residents with 2nd homes down the shore to stay in their primary homes. Not to go down and overwhelm the smaller local hospitals cuz it’s still off season. I thought that was very fair, but regardless that man sounds like an ass though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I saw on the news tonight the residents on Cape Cod were worried about all the out of state cars showing up down there. The stores don't have the amount of supplies needed for the influx of people at this time of year. Same with the hospital too.

Sorry about the man being so rude to your dad though.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That man was definitely a jerk!

Here in CA though our stay at home orders say specifically to stay in your primary residence and to not go to vacation homes. You could be an asymptomatic carrier and possibly spread the virus or already have it and end up showing symptoms once you are at your vacation home with no medical resources, etc. So I do see how staying put in your primary residence is what is strongly recommended.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Same thing in Utah--they are closing National Parks because the small towns don't want to deal with the influx of people--only so many grocery supplies to go around, nothing beyond a tiny hospital, etc. Does NOT excuse that person's rudeness to your dad, however!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast