Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Analysis regarding masks

I’m not proposing or planning or suggesting we go out and buy masks. I did find the analysis science based and interesting and thought some of you may like to watch it.

https://youtu.be/BoDwXwZXsDI

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No time to watch but my understanding is they are worse than not using one for many people. If you aren’t used to wearing one, you’ll constantly be touching and readjusting (witnessed this a bunch in recent weeks!). Face touching equals bad.
    I’d feel super bad, at this point, wearing one knowing how they are in short supplies in hospitals. If I had a new one laying around, I’d donate it.
    I’m sorry if all of those points were covered in the video!!!

Actually he presented some data analysis that showed incredibly low numbers in Taiwan, Mongolia (these 2 are in close proximity with China) and Czech Republic. Turns out these are countries that encouraged people to wear masks.
    He presented some science that said that the 3 ways the virus can spread contact, droplets and aerosol(this is very rare and can occur hospital settings only, when undergoing procedures).
    The 2nd way of spreading droplets is what wearing a mask helps against. Further, he had some data saying it does not have to be a surgical mask, the kind used by doctors offices. Just a homemade 2 tshirt thickness mass works and is the least obstructive with breathing.

Quite fascinating analysis, and I wondered about using it in scenarios when you absolutely must go out and cannot socially distance. I’m in no way suggesting or planning to run out and start wearing masks, I just found the data fascinating.

We are actually already doing the hardest thing which is to quarantine and socially distance and it comes with a heavy cost but seems to be the only way to not overwhelm healthcare systems and keep numbers low.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    Actually he presented some data analysis that showed incredibly low numbers in Taiwan, Mongolia (these 2 are in close proximity with China) and Czech Republic. Turns out these are countries that encouraged people to wear masks.
    He presented some science that said that the 3 ways the virus can spread contact, droplets and aerosol(this is very rare and can occur hospital settings only, when undergoing procedures).
    The 2nd way of spreading droplets is what wearing a mask helps against. Further, he had some data saying it does not have to be a surgical mask, the kind used by doctors offices. Just a homemade 2 tshirt thickness mass works and is the least obstructive with breathing.

Quite fascinating analysis, and I wondered about using it in scenarios when you absolutely must go out and cannot socially distance. I’m in no way suggesting or planning to run out and start wearing masks, I just found the data fascinating.

We are actually already doing the hardest thing which is to quarantine and socially distance and it comes with a heavy cost but seems to be the only way to not overwhelm healthcare systems and keep numbers low.

Yeah, for sure...I wouldn't go and try to buy a mask but if you (or a friend) have the means to make one, it would be entirely reasonable to wear one when you have to go to the grocery, etc. Catching those droplets if someone sneezes near you and you can't move away definitely provides some protection. Wash after each use!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-28-2020 at 10:10 AM.

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Your thread made me think of this post on one of my favorite blogs. The President of Slovakia fully embraced the country’s policy on masks to the point of matching hers to her dress. Apparently in Slovakia it is prohibited to leave your house without a mask. Because there is a shortage, people are making homemade masks. https://www.gofugyourself.com/photo-...-2020#comments

Some of the commenters provided some interesting links too.

the twitter thread https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremypho...441506816?s=19
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It gives me chills how uncoordinated and bad the response to this is. Isn't there someone at the top studying what other more successful countries are doing so we don't have to guess?

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    It gives me chills how uncoordinated and bad the response to this is. Isn't there someone at the top studying what other more successful countries are doing so we don't have to guess?
    I agree. Isn’t this the job of the World Health Organization?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Default Analysis regarding masks

Well I shared it with DH he asked the same question, if it works wouldn’t the CDC and WHO be recommending this? Well, this is just my speculation, but if they publicly mention this they me be fearing that people will start stockpiling and worsening the shortages we already have in healthcare settings. If people can be irrational with hand sanitizer and toilet paper(this one continues to baffle me) one can only imagine what would happen with masks!

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Your thread made me think of this post on one of my favorite blogs. The President of Slovakia fully embraced the country’s policy on masks to the point of matching hers to her dress. Apparently in Slovakia it is prohibited to leave your house without a mask. Because there is a shortage, people are making homemade masks. https://www.gofugyourself.com/photo-...-2020#comments

Some of the commenters provided some interesting links too.

the twitter thread https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremypho...441506816?s=19
    Thanks for sharing, I haven’t yet but will check out your links for sure.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

mom2akm is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

This is the one question we need an answer for: can wearing masks slow the spread of covid-19?
    The answer should not be: if you don't wear the mask correctly, it will not help. Or there is a shortage of masks so do not wear masks.
    Because if people are not wearing masks correctly, we can learn. If there is a shortage, we can make our own.
    Since there are contradictory info, we must determine the answers ourselves, unfortunately.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast