Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One of my relatives who works in a hospital is speculating that the downplaying of masks in the US is to keep people from hoarding masks (same as what a PP said.) His hospital is not currently experiencing a shortage but others in our area are.

I bought two 2-layer t-shirt fabric (not stretchy) masks off Etsy last week that should be arriving on Monday. Figured this way I'm not taking anything away from healthcare professionals. If we can get to a point where it's not a problem to buy a better mask I definitely will.

Gloves make me hypersensitive to touching my face- I just don't do it at all as I hate the feel- and have been working out really well for weekly shopping trips. I only start wearing them when I get the shopping cart, and only touch what I'm for sure going to buy. When I return the cart I toss the gloves in the trash, and switch over to wipes for car keys, door, and CC, and hand sanitizer. (With hand washing when I get home.) As long as I have the gloves on, wearing a mask should work out fine. If I didn't have gloves, though, I'm 100% positive I'd be one of those who accidentally touch the mask! It can make a shopping trip a weird challenge of self control when one of my stray hairs gets stuck in my lipgloss!!

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Analysis regarding masks

I just watched this whole video and I am sold on this guys assertions. For those that don’t watch the whole thing, I understand it’s long let me try to summarize.

1) It’s a myth that masks aren’t effective. They absolutely are. That’s why healthcare workers wear them. He has good evidence to support this. Including countries like Czech Republic who mandated mask wearing as of Mar 18. Additionally, even reducing the quantity of your exposure to the virus leads to better outcomes if you do become sick.
    2) Public mandatory mask wearing could be a cheap and effective way to allow us to restart the economy while slowing the spread. Once countries like US and UK get past their apex.
    3) We absolutely don’t want to be taking from the supply for healthcare workers. But homemade masks are nearly as effective and can be made from materials around the house. Example, t-shirts.
    4) Compulsory mask wearing and de stigmatizing of mask wearing would be helpful and socially responsible. “My mask protects you. Your mask protects me.” By wearing homemade masks, no one will think you’re taking from the stock of HC workers.
    5) The upside of this idea is huge. The cost is small.

I have spent much of the last two days making two homemade masks, before seeing this video. For me, the purpose was to protect my family if one member became ill. My plan was to make the sick person wear it, especially whenever I had to enter their room. And I as the likely care provider would wear one too. Then we’d wash as needed. I don’t have a sewing machine and I don’t sew but I cut up a table cloth I had and used a basic sewing kit. After watching the video I think I’ll try some t-shirt material next as I think that would be softer and easier to sew (my thumb is SORE).
    Last edited by nfceagles; 03-28-2020 at 06:33 PM.

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I just watched this whole video and I am sold on this guys assertions. For those that don’t watch the whole thing, I understand it’s long let me try to summarize.

1) It’s a myth that masks aren’t effective. They absolutely are. That’s why healthcare workers wear them. He has good evidence to support this. Including countries like Czech Republic who mandated mask wearing as of Mar 18. Additionally, even reducing the quantity of your exposure to the virus leads to better outcomes if you do become sick.
    2) Public mandatory mask wearing could be a cheap and effective way to allow us to restart the economy while slowing the spread. Once countries like US and UK get past their apex.
    3) We absolutely don’t want to be taking from the supply for healthcare workers. But homemade masks are nearly as effective and can be made from materials around the house. Example, t-shirts.
    4) Compulsory mask wearing and de stigmatizing of mask wearing would be helpful and socially responsible. “My mask protects you. Your mask protects me.” By wearing homemade masks, no one will think you’re taking from the stock of HC workers.

Thanks for the summary. I'm sharing with my loved ones.

Thanks OP for posting!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    One of my relatives who works in a hospital is speculating that the downplaying of masks in the US is to keep people from hoarding masks (same as what a PP said.) His hospital is not currently experiencing a shortage but others in our area are.

I bought two 2-layer t-shirt fabric (not stretchy) masks off Etsy last week that should be arriving on Monday. Figured this way I'm not taking anything away from healthcare professionals. If we can get to a point where it's not a problem to buy a better mask I definitely will.

Gloves make me hypersensitive to touching my face- I just don't do it at all as I hate the feel- and have been working out really well for weekly shopping trips. I only start wearing them when I get the shopping cart, and only touch what I'm for sure going to buy. When I return the cart I toss the gloves in the trash, and switch over to wipes for car keys, door, and CC, and hand sanitizer. (With hand washing when I get home.) As long as I have the gloves on, wearing a mask should work out fine. If I didn't have gloves, though, I'm 100% positive I'd be one of those who accidentally touch the mask! It can make a shopping trip a weird challenge of self control when one of my stray hairs gets stuck in my lipgloss!!
    From which shop did you get your masks?

Saw this article today: More Americans Should Probably Wear Masks for Protection.

"When researchers conducted systematic review of a variety of interventions used during the SARS outbreak in 2003, they found that washing hands more than 10 times daily was 55% effective in stopping virus transmission, while wearing a mask was actually more effective -- at about 68%. Wearing gloves offered about the same amount of protection as frequent hand-washing, and combining all measures -- hand-washing, masks, gloves and a protective gown -- increased the intervention effectiveness to 91%."

Interesting, but who has a protective gown lying around their house?!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I bought the last two the seller had in stock, and she’s switched over to a dish towel t-shirt combo. Dish towel fabric is supposed to be a good filter but not as comfortable to wear. If we like the t-shirt masks I’ll let you know, and maybe we can convince the seller to make more!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just did a video chat with niece in south Korea (teaching there for 2 years) and she said the govt is giving people 2 masks per week. They’re getting ready to up it to 3 per week. According to their birth year, they go to the drugstore on a certain day (hers is Monday) and they are given 2 masks. And they pretty much don’t go anywhere...she and her boyfriend ride bikes everywhere, even the 40 min ride to each other’s apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

I have spent much of the last two days making two homemade masks, before seeing this video. For me, the purpose was to protect my family if one member became ill. My plan was to make the sick person wear it, especially whenever I had to enter their room. And I as the likely care provider would wear one too. Then we’d wash as needed. I don’t have a sewing machine and I don’t sew but I cut up a table cloth I had and used a basic sewing kit. After watching the video I think I’ll try some t-shirt material next as I think that would be softer and easier to sew (my thumb is SORE).
    Thanks for the summary! My mom and I ended up watching the entire video later, but we were putting together a dresser while watching so I don't think I caught every detail.

So...I have N95 masks that I originally bought for our earthquake kit and then bought several more during the CA fires last year. I have at least two dozen masks. If you were me, what would you do? I plan to leave the house no more than once a week for groceries only, although DH went today to Costco and Home Depot. I think it would be better if I was the only one to leave the house since I'm more careful than DH and he's the only one working full time at home so it would be better if he didn't get sick. The last time I went out was 10 days ago. So I'm thinking the best practice would be to wear 1 mask out each time I go get groceries and then dispose of it before I even get in the car to go home? That would be enough masks for 25 weeks/6 months, but that's not taking into account if anyone at home gets sick and should therefore wear a mask to protect the rest of us.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Thanks for the summary! My mom and I ended up watching the entire video later, but we were putting together a dresser while watching so I don't think I caught every detail.

So...I have N95 masks that I originally bought for our earthquake kit and then bought several more during the CA fires last year. I have at least two dozen masks. If you were me, what would you do? I plan to leave the house no more than once a week for groceries only, although DH went today to Costco and Home Depot. I think it would be better if I was the only one to leave the house since I'm more careful than DH and he's the only one working full time at home so it would be better if he didn't get sick. The last time I went out was 10 days ago. So I'm thinking the best practice would be to wear 1 mask out each time I go get groceries and then dispose of it before I even get in the car to go home? That would be enough masks for 25 weeks/6 months, but that's not taking into account if anyone at home gets sick and should therefore wear a mask to protect the rest of us.
    I would wear the mask then leave it in your car (better if car in the sun) to clean out and then you can rewear. Should be germ free when you go out in a week.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

I would keep 2 masks and donate the rest. There is zero need to have so many. (My sister and all her friends donated theirs from the fires). DH is a physician and wore the same N95 mask all week last week. He probably won’t get another one this week. Healthcare workers are in dire need of masks. If you go out once a week, leave the mask in the car and it will “self sanitize.”
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast