Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cancellation Whining

I realize this is a total first world problem, but I have to let myself mourn this. My annual spring backpacking trip is scheduled for the end of April. Current epidemiology models for our state show the virus peaking mid-April to mid-May. So that trip is off. I need this trip every spring--it truly centers my soul. And this year, I need it even more. But it won't be happening. I am not even going to use the hotel reservations and stay in town and go hiking. Those small gateway towns are asking people to stay away and I get it. There is another trip in September and I can transfer to that trip. Sadly, I don't know if the 3 friends who were going to join me (I only see these people every other year or so) can make the September trip. And while the desert is nice in the fall, it isn't the same as in the spring with flowers blooming, etc. Sigh.

Then, we are going to cancel our June trip to Scotland. Again, if the virus peak ends in Mid May (or even starts then) we will not be in a space to travel internationally. I spent months planning this trip and now I have cancelled the hotels and car rental etc. We can do the trip again next year, and all the info/itinerary stuff can be used. It's just sad. For the VRBO and AirbnB places--they are only giving full refunds if your trip is scheduled for mid March to mid April. Fortunately, I can cancel 2/3 of the places by the end of May and still get a 50% refund. I am hoping they extend the full refund time period as the virus spreads. And I will see if I can't just reschedule for next year and thus not give up the deposits. We may be able to go somewhere in July, but I don't know--depends on if DH can get that time. sigh....

Add in the earthquakes last week and the fact that my poor dog fainted at the groomers and I had to rush him to the vet on Thursday, this is not the best week for me. They think he has an arrhythmia on top of his heart valve issues. The last few years of a dog's life are hard. He goes in for a heart test on Monday.

And, yet, I am eternally grateful. DH and I have jobs. We have savings. I can afford the dog's care. So far, we are all healthy. I have teenagers who are able and decently motivated to learn online and they can be left at home without supervision. I have access to real-time health care info on the virus (blessing and a curse). I get to go into work every day and self-isolate in an office yet still talk to people from 6 feet away. We are all having a hard time in different ways. And then I think--well, it's not like we are Belgium in WWII. Buck up!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I remember you posting about that backpacking trip in past years and I know it means a lot to you. I am so sorry that you have to cancel it.

Thanks elbenn!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I'm sorry, too! I know it means a lot to you. I was talking to a friend on how most of us have these real plans we were really looking forward to and are grieving the loss of, but feel like we can't because it is worse for someone else or could be worse. I feel like we just need to let ourselves be disappointed in whatever it was we lost or have to delay to God knows when.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry. I get it. Both the disappointment and the realization that we are the fortunate ones. I have been training with a beginning runners group for my first race, a half marathon that was supposed to be in Prague today. I was so excited and I’m so sad it’s not happening. But I’m also grateful for the training and the friendships formed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Sorry. I get it. Both the disappointment and the realization that we are the fortunate ones. I have been training with a beginning runners group for my first race, a half marathon that was supposed to be in Prague today. I was so excited and I’m so sad it’s not happening. But I’m also grateful for the training and the friendships formed.

I so get this!! I train for my backpacking trip and I have my first triathlon in May. Not gonna make that either, as far as I can tell. And Prague--amazing! On my bucket list! Fortunately, we do have other athletes in the same "bucket" as we are. Next year, next year.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm sorry about all the canceled trips. There were so many mentions here of upcoming trips that i imagine there are a lot of cancelations. We were excitedly planning a trip to France. At this point we had paid in full for a huge house that we'd stayed in once before and invited a bunch of friends to come stay with us to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Everything was booked- the house, the car rental, and DH got amazing airplane fares for our family, and grandparents. We were all so excited about it and its all been canceled. Fortunately the house owner is letting us transfer our reservation to 2021 and we didn't lose any of our money. The airfare was reimbursed but I doubt we will get that deal again. And all our friends had to cancel all their plans too. But, we are so lucky. So much of this could have gone wrong. And at this moment I"m very, very grateful that we are healthy. That is what really matters.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am hoping I will get to take our annual once a year trip home to Canada, my dad is 84 and I'm always worried I won't see him again. We can only go in the summer, so I hope by the end of July it will be safe to drive there. We don't have other trips planned, DD's boyfriend is a senior and prom looks questionable, luckily they went last year so they at least had that. My kids LOVE school, and the socializing that goes with it, and this is killing them, but they will survive.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by specialp View Post
    I'm sorry, too! I know it means a lot to you. I was talking to a friend on how most of us have these real plans we were really looking forward to and are grieving the loss of, but feel like we can't because it is worse for someone else or could be worse. I feel like we just need to let ourselves be disappointed in whatever it was we lost or have to delay to God knows when.
    There is a lot of truth to this. It is ok to be disappointed.

Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Emerald City Comic Con is a big deal for our family. It was postponed until August but we won’t be able to make it. A two week work trip to Maine that was taking me one hour away from most of my family was canceled. I was supposed to be there now. And the Madness show in Oakland that was a reunion of most my college friends has been postponed until next year. I haven’t decided if I’m going to reschedule or cancel my flights.

But I’m still working and my husband is still working so we are definitely doing better than a lot of people. So I’ve got that going for me.

Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast