Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am a surgeon (who is no longer operating due to this virus) and I have a few surgical masks that I am required to wear in all patient care areas. And then store in a paperbag and then rewear. My husband is as well. I agree with Dogmom re head coverings, we do not have a shortage of standard paper shower cap type head covers, at least that I know of yet though.

But I have come around recently to this point of view: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...a6d_story.html

And this morning I asked my mother to make us all (kids included) cloth masks to wear for grocery shopping, etc. In January I laughed at people wearing masks in the airports, today I am thinking that I will never travel by air without one again.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm going to start making masks (for us) this weekend in anticipation of a CDC recommendation that everyone should wear a homemade mask when out and about (grocery store, etc). Not sure if they will actually make the recommendation, but wearing a homemade mask makes good common sense because they do offer some protection and help prevent spread if you're harboring virus, if used properly and with the appropriate fabric (looks like the consensus, which is also largely based on what's widely available and what's practical to breathe through, is tightly woven cotton, 2 layers). I came across this tutorial which looks pretty excellent, especially if you have some sewing experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBR9...ature=youtu.be

I think I'll use this as a base, starting with the large size mask (men's) to make sure that it's a good fit for us with enough room to add a filter (blue shop towels are apparently a good non-woven fabric option) while still allowing a little bit of a pooch in front of the mouth/nose for breathing. There was also a suggestion somewhere to reverse the shoelace so that it ties at the top/crown of the head instead, which makes sense to me. I happen to have a few high quality dish towels that are quite tightly woven (I can hold them up over my eyes and they block out almost all light) that I'll use to start.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-02-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I'm going to start making masks (for us) this weekend in anticipation of a CDC recommendation that everyone should wear a homemade mask when out and about (grocery store, etc). Not sure if they will actually make the recommendation, but wearing a homemade mask makes good common sense because they do offer some protection and help prevent spread if you're harboring virus, if used properly and with the appropriate fabric (looks like the consensus, which is also largely based on what's widely available and what's practical to breathe through, is tightly woven cotton, 2 layers). I came across this tutorial which looks pretty excellent, especially if you have some sewing experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBR9...ature=youtu.be

I think I'll use this as a base, starting with the large size mask (men's) to make sure that it's a good fit for us with enough room to add a filter (blue shop towels are apparently a good non-woven fabric option) while still allowing a little bit of a pooch in front of the mouth/nose for breathing. There was also a suggestion somewhere to reverse the shoelace so that it ties at the top/crown of the head instead, which makes sense to me. I happen to have a few high quality dish towels that are quite tightly woven (I can hold them up over my eyes and they block out almost all light) that I'll use to start.
    So i don’t have a sewing machine and I’m a dummy at sewing, do you have a recommendation for a easy video/tutorial for hand sewing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    So i don’t have a sewing machine and I’m a dummy at sewing, do you have a recommendation for a easy video/tutorial for hand sewing it?

I don’t sew or have a sewing machine but I’m in the middle of making my third one using this video. https://youtu.be/VUasSmReIVo

She describes how to draw a pattern from scratch, but I downloaded a printable pattern from Tianas Closet instead.

https://tianascloset.com/index.php/2...irus-epidemic/

I find this style more comfortable than the rectangular style I made at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm going to try this one. I tried the other app's link and I did not like how it turned out.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For the crafters out there the Silhouette design store has a free pattern and Silhouette School FB page did a live tutorial on how to use it.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post

Or - I have a sewing machine - but have no idea how to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I don’t sew or have a sewing machine but I’m in the middle of making my third one using this video. https://youtu.be/VUasSmReIVo

She describes how to draw a pattern from scratch, but I downloaded a printable pattern from Tianas Closet instead.

https://tianascloset.com/index.php/2...irus-epidemic/

I find this style more comfortable than the rectangular style I made at first.

Thanks for linking this video. I don't sew, either, but will probably try to make a mask for going out for groceries.

Which version from the video do you make? The first one with the seam down the middle? And do you think this would work with a woven fabric?

Default Favorite mask tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_pea View Post
    Thanks for linking this video. I don't sew, either, but will probably try to make a mask for going out for groceries.

Which version from the video do you make? The first one with the seam down the middle? And do you think this would work with a woven fabric?
    Oh yeah, I forgot she showed 2 kinds. I have made 3 of the first one. I haven’t tried the second one. I have used old t-shirts and a stiffer woven old tablecloth. I like the soft t-shirt ones better for comfort but I have no idea which is better for safety.

Whatever patterns you use, try to use two different fabrics. That way you don’t accidentally put it on backwards while out and about.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast