Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Whatever patterns you use, try to use two different fabrics. That way you don’t accidentally put it on backwards while out and about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD made me one today. She put one side as the right side of the fabric and the other is the wrong side, just for this reason. Easy to tell the difference.

I'm not sure which pattern, if any, she used. It seems to fit well and will work for me.
    Kris

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Where do you get this material? I have no idea what this is.....
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    They're just thick dense paper towels.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kimberly-Cl...-no-redirect=1

I'm sure they are sold out everywhere now!

I've also heard talk of cutting up vacuum cleaner bags.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

apparently the scott ones are not as effective as the other 2 brands. oddly enough, I do happen to have the Scott ones. (I think) When they said shop towels, I thought they were talking about the blue cloth ones we use for cleaning everyone originally got from Costco

Earlier today I read this article https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...thers-n1175966 idk what is really best.

I ordered fabric from JoAnn's today. Order was supposed to be ready today but hopefully tomorrow. Then I'll get sewing we'll see how I make out. The only thing worse than my sewing ability is my ability to follow a pattern!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/TOOLBO...els-64928.html

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you!!!!!
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So my brain is now hurting from watching tutorials and reading blog posts and the vastly contradictory info about masks. Also, I apparently purged my fabric scraps (minimalism can have its downsides during pandemic)....so I would have to repurpose fabric.
    what do you guys think about using gently used sheets or 100% cotton clothing? I am seeing posts that fabric should be new....how important is that for personal use masks (v medical use....don’t think my sewing skills are up to the task to making them for donation at this time).

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    So my brain is now hurting from watching tutorials and reading blog posts and the vastly contradictory info about masks. Also, I apparently purged my fabric scraps (minimalism can have its downsides during pandemic)....so I would have to repurpose fabric.
    what do you guys think about using gently used sheets or 100% cotton clothing? I am seeing posts that fabric should be new....how important is that for personal use masks (v medical use....don’t think my sewing skills are up to the task to making them for donation at this time).
    For personal use and not donation, I think you have to use what you can get your hands on. I had one new precut cotton fabric piece that I was able to make us all masks with nose wire and filter pocket. Kids aren’t going anywhere but I wanted them in case we had to go to a doctor. I wanted 2 extra for dh and myself because we do have to go places. All I had without leaving the house was high quality cotton sheets so that’s what I used. If you have friends you could split with, some place had shipping on bolts of fabric.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What are you thoughts about sticking a couple of the blue shop towels inside the non-sew bandana type mask? I don't have any elastic, but do have plenty of hair ties and for some reason a pack of men's handkerchiefs. We also have the blue shop towels (which when I saw DS using them to clean his basketball hoop the other day I thought to myself "I feel like he shouldn't be using those but have no idea why"..ha!), so I was thinking I could fold the handkerchiefs like the bandana video and put two blue towels inside of it. Think that would work?

ETA: DH just found two painters masks in the basement. I'm assuming those are better than the cloth ones? I still need to make the others so we have enough for the kids should they need to go to the dr or something.
    Last edited by MSWR0319; 04-05-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast