Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    What are you thoughts about sticking a couple of the blue shop towels inside the non-sew bandana type mask? I don't have any elastic, but do have plenty of hair ties and for some reason a pack of men's handkerchiefs. We also have the blue shop towels (which when I saw DS using them to clean his basketball hoop the other day I thought to myself "I feel like he shouldn't be using those but have no idea why"..ha!), so I was thinking I could fold the handkerchiefs like the bandana video and put two blue towels inside of it. Think that would work?

ETA: DH just found two painters masks in the basement. I'm assuming those are better than the cloth ones? I still need to make the others so we have enough for the kids should they need to go to the dr or something.
    I think that’s fine with the blue towels Folded in. I could not get a good fit with that method without me tugging around my ears to keep them up or around my eyes so whatever you do try to wear it for an hour or so in your house to make sure the fit doesn’t make your hands jump to your face. I don’t know about painters masks but would assume they would work well.

US Surgeon General posted a video for an easy no-sew mask using t-shirt fabric and 2 rubber bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3-HyGHTDw

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So I've made 10 masks using this tutorial, which takes longer but that's fine since I am just making masks for my family and one other.
    https://www.craftpassion.com/face-ma...ace-mask-video

But with the following modifications:
    • For glasses wearers, I find that the wire pocket needs to be closer to the top of the mask. So, when I'm topstitching, I topstitch down and into the wire pocket (leaving a gap on either side wide enough to slide in 2 pipe cleaners) like this ****|_______|***** (asterisks are the topstitching facing top of mask, | is few vertical stitches descending on the outside of the wire pocket, and the underline is the stitching running across the wire pocket. So basically the pipe cleaners go into the wire pocket where the | is. This places the wire at the very top edge of the mask, better seal for not fogging up glasses.
    • For the outside fabric, I like extra on the ends so that I can double up the fabric for making the hem to thread a shoelace (and also to make a slightly wider channel for easier threading). I also found that for our flat asian faces, I needed to shorten the pattern (the part facing the ears) by about a centimeter.
    • For the curved part of the mask, I cut it so that it's sticking out more...like a myopic eyeball...I found that having that extra air space in front of your nose/mouth makes it WAY easier to breathe.
    • Laced the shoelaces the OPPOSITE of how she did it, with the ends tied at the top/crown of the head. Easier to get a great seal that way, and no strain on the ears. Put the mask, on, pull UP snugly, then tie.

I've worn mine around the house and it's very comfortable but could get damp relatively quickly. Inserting a shop towel folded in half (stick fingers in to make sure the shop towel is pressed as close to the topstitching as possible) helped with the dampness and is still easy to breathe through. I only have the Scott brand from Costco (darn) but still - I'm sure it's better than just the cotton. I'm attempting to wash the masks now with the shop towels inserted to see if everything holds up.

I used cotton dishtowels. Dishtowels are SO different so I chose not the thinnest/gauzy ones, and not the super thick cotton twill William Sonoma ones, but something in between that still had a weave tight enough to block out almost all light with 2 layers. 3 layers was way too hard to breathe through. Sheets were way too hard to breathe through (at least the 400+ thread count ones we have). Men's cotton collared shirts would work - an oxford would probably be perfect - and I also made a couple of masks out of the woven cotton fabric from a couple of old Boden dresses. You can hold any fabrics (2 layers) around your nose and mouth, creating a seal with your hands, to test how hard/easy it is to breathe through. Stretch fabrics like knits are going to be harder to sew, and from what I was reading a tightly woven fabric is better anyway. But if you don't have that, then 2 layers of a Hanes heavyweight type fabric from cheap t-shirts are good.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-05-2020 at 03:23 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ssjarrett View Post
    US Surgeon General posted a video for an easy no-sew mask using t-shirt fabric and 2 rubber bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3-HyGHTDw
    thanks for this! i think i will have to do this for now. i don't have a sewing machine and am not a sewer. i ordered masks for the whole family on etsy (i want to support small businesses) but i imagine they will take like a week to arrive. not big deal though though....in the past 3 weeks my kids literally have only left the house to either ride in the car 1x a week (never getting out) or daily bike rides in our neighborhood (not many people out and about). i only go out once a week for grocery shopping trip and my kids never comde.

also - i ordered masks that have pockets for the filter inside them, as apparently that is much better than cloth-only masks. but seems like filters are sold out most places? Not sure where to get these.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This one is very simple and uses an old t shirt with a pocket for a paper towel. https://youtu.be/hVEVve-3QeM

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

http://www.quilt101.com/product-category/patterns/

If you have a machine, there are two free patterns here. They also have a video in their Instagram highlights with instructions shown.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Duplicate post
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I tried a few and like this no pleat square not shaped mask
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_N...re=emb_rel_end

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just tore up most of my bedroom, ruined a few pieces of clothing, and strained my neck for a good 1.5 hours making the absolute WORST fitting mask I could ever imagine. I'm not sure if it's my sloppy workmanship (documented), poor materials, older machine that needs to be serviced or general inexperience but I am ready to BUY MASKS.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just tore up most of my bedroom, ruined a few pieces of clothing, and strained my neck for a good 1.5 hours making the absolute WORST fitting mask I could ever imagine. I'm not sure if it's my sloppy workmanship (documented), poor materials, older machine that needs to be serviced or general inexperience but I am ready to BUY MASKS.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast