Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We have family friends who were. Although the couple are physicians, they believe it was acquired via community spread while on an extended vacation. Never hospitalized. One thing I remember is the husband did not have a fever until well after he had tested positive. He had other symptoms and his family was sick with fever, but his fever did not appear until almost a week into it.

ETA: I have a college friend on FB who is awaiting her results.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m scared of even posting in this thread, but my answer at this point is no one I know personally so far.

Don’t mean to digress, but what I feel would be useful is to have some kind of database where we record when a persons symptoms first began to appear, what they were, how long before they got tested etc.
    There would be so much useful analysis that can be done from all of that data if entered and captured accurately.
    Even if someone is infected, it would be useful to know how they are doing, whether they are on the road to recovery or how the disease is going to progress.

Prayers and positive thoughts for anyone battling this right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH's godfather passed away on Friday. We learned today. DH is shaken.

We have lots of friends and neighbors working on the front lines in hospital. They say the hospitals are a mess. The stress they are under is palpable even from a distance. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to ease their stress.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're pretty sure a classmate of dd2's had it in mid March. The father came back from CA and had a fever and dry cough. The son then got the illness a few days later. High fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing for 10 days. Dr refused to test. She took him to an urgent care but they had no tests. Then he finally started to get better after 2wks being sick. Luckily, he'd been out of school at the 1st sign of illness.

This morning, I got an email from dd2's dr about how to manage high risk patients and to call at the 1st sign of any symptoms. That was sobering.

I'm so sorry for those who are suffering with this.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    DH's godfather passed away on Friday. We learned today. DH is shaken.

We have lots of friends and neighbors working on the front lines in hospital. They say the hospitals are a mess. The stress they are under is palpable even from a distance. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to ease their stress.
    I'm so sorry for your family! While I don't know anyone personally who is dealing with it yet, my SIL works at Penn State Hershey Med Center and she is very concerned about the hospitals having enough supplies as cases continue to increase in our area. We are now in under a strict Stay at Home order, hopefully less people out will help control the spread.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My sister texted me last night to say that she wouldn't be coming over anymore because she got exposed at work, although not a direct exposure. She works at an in patient drug rehab center and one of the night workers tested positive and had symptoms while interacting with patients. My sister then interacted with one of those patients.
    My sister is single and struggles with depression so I've been trying to be sure she doesn't have too much alone time but I guess now we won't see her for a while.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    This morning, I got an email from dd2's dr about how to manage high risk patients and to call at the 1st sign of any symptoms. That was sobering.
    This is what my son’s doctor has been saying since the first case up in Washington. I’m in Los Angeles, so I figured we’d be one of the first cities hit with tourists that come through the city. I’m actually pretty surprised it has not been too bad yet, but they say the worst is yet to come. My high risk DS has not stepped outside of the house since March 11, even before the schools closed. That was our iffy week out here with pressuring the schools to close. I talked to his doctor that day, and she said, it was time to pull him out. My older son has been inside since schools closed on March 13th. I’ve left my house twice since then for groceries and my DH has left once. Each time with masks and gloves. We’ve been taking as many precautions as we can, but I’m still worried.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We think DS(17) has it, he is on day 9 and definitely showing a lot of improvement. For him the first symptom was shortness of breath- he noticed it after a run but we dismissed it as overdoing it. The next day he had a terrible headache and then that night a fever. The fever lasted 3-4 days and coughing developed during that time. The fevers mostly came in the late afternoon. About day 6 he started throwing up, he threw up until yesterday but has not today, although he feels nauseous. No fever since Friday. Sore throat and some increased congestion have come on in the last couple of days just to round things out. He is too young and healthy to qualify for a test, so we don't really know but the severity of his symptoms- particularly the shortness of breath/tightness in his chest which he has never had before (and I have never seen even in pneumonia, bronchitis) lead me to think he has it. We don't know how he got it, he hasn't really been out and about although DH was in Las Vegas right before this all started (and came home about a week before DS started showing symptoms). So far the rest of us feel fine, we have tried to keep him a little separate but haven't done full on isolation.

A few tips:
    -telemedicine is your friend- we did a virtual visit with Ds's dr and there is a lot they can tell by seeing you on a screen. It was super reassuring, and one night he really felt like he was struggling to breathe we FaceTimed with a dr friend- she was able to talk him (and me down) and may have saved us a late night er visit.
    - like someone above, it's helpful to have gatorade and ginger ale on hand - fever is dehydrating and vomiting is a pretty common symptom
    -tylenol, not ibuprofen or naproxen. We usually use Motrin, so didn't have a lot of Tylenol on hand- my dr said the studies are not at all conclusive but for now stick with Tylenol.
    - Benadryl- the night ds was struggling the most our friend recommended he take a Benadryl- for sleep and to reduce anxiety, it was good advice as he slept the best that night. I also took one myself to force myself to nap one day after a few sleepless nights.
    -take notes- the symptoms keep changing and getting better than worse again. It's hard to keep track.
    Last edited by ezcc; 03-30-2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added advice

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One of my MIL's best friends is in ICU confirmed COVID. She is in her 70s and not doing well at all. He husband is also exposed but no symptoms so far. One of the physicians that DH works with have both his wife and college aged son confirmed. With DH working at a hospital we are afraid it is only a matter of time before we are exposed.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am so sorry to hear of the cases! In the past week, we’ve had an additional 2 friends confirm. It’s really devastating. Payers and good thoughts to everyone affected by Covid19
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast