Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Book Recommendations: feel good/funny

I have recently stumbled across a new to me author that I absolutely LOVE. I am on my third book and they have all been so good...very funny, excellent character development, and incredibly poignant (like legit brought me to tears a couple times which never happens). Looking at her covers some seem a little more like silly romance but I can personally vouch for these two. The author is Kristan Higgins and I have read:
    If you Only Knew and Good Luck with That

now reading My One and Only which is good so far although not quite as completely mesmerizing.

anyone else want to add similar titles?

also I have recommended the Flat Share by Beth O’Leary which I have to mention again as it is a new favorite of mine.

I just read flat share a few weeks ago on vacation and I loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Book Recommendations: feel good/funny

Good choice with the Kristan Higgins! You should read her Blue Heron series in order https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/kristan-higgins/

Beth Kendrick’s Black Dog Bay series is another I really liked https://www.goodreads.com/series/157357-black-dog-bay

Adding the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before series

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 03-29-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just downloaded a Kristan Higgins book, thanks for the recommendation!

I also really enjoyed the Flat Share.

I am reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, so far I like it.
    Last edited by Mommy_Mea; 03-29-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

Adding the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before series
    I really liked the To All the Boys... series. It's like being in high school all over again, but in a good way, if that makes any sense at all. Lara Jean is such an over-thinker!

When I want something silly or funny, I reach for the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella ... and, more often these days, pretty much anything by Jennifer Weiner.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post

I am reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, so far I like it.
    I think this is one of my favorite epistolary novels after Dracula.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I really liked the To All the Boys... series. It's like being in high school all over again, but in a good way, if that makes any sense at all. Lara Jean is such an over-thinker!

When I want something silly or funny, I reach for the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella ... and, more often these days, pretty much anything by Jennifer Weiner.
    I have read the entire shopaholic series at least 6 times. She’s my favorite comfort-read author!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Almost anything by Susan Elizabeth Phillips fits this genre imho. There are some I like more than others and I have read many of her books more than once including Fancy Pants, Match Me If You Can, It Had to Be You, Natural Born Charmer, Nobody’s Baby But Mine, What I Did For Love, Call Me Irresistible, and Lady Be Good.

If you like military mystery and suspense then I recommend Suzanna Brockmann (egoldber rec. the series quite a few years ago). She is really good with character development and in some books has a historical back story.

Robyn Carr writes nice books as well, but they seem to become formulatic after the first four or five a series.

Danielle Steele’s first 20-30 books are really good. I stopped reading her stuff in the early 2000s because I felt stories started to repeat themselves. Fine Things, and Letters from Nam were probably my favorites.

My daughter is reading To All the Boys series right now so I think I will wait until she has read them all to read them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This question came up in another group of mine, someone looking for light/entertaining for book club. I recommended The Rosie Project by Simsion, Eleanor Oliphant by honeyman, and also Class Mom by Gelman.

I would say Rosie and Eleanor are quirky and probably not for everyone. Class Mom has more of a snarky sarcastic feel. All were quick reads for me.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Also try the Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne. It’s a lot like Meg Cabot’s Queen of Babble series, which I also recommend (along with her Size 12 isn’t Fat series).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast