Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone else have a child celebrating a birthday now? If so how did you make it specia

Dd1 turns 14 on Saturday and we are in Los Angeles County, CA so absolutely nothing is open....beaches and beach parking lots plus all trails, and bike paths are all closed now through the end of the month. She has asked for In N Out Burger for her birthday and even though she gave up ice cream for Lent I told her it would be okay to eat ice cream on her birthday (she doesn’t like cake or cupcakes) so I will probably get her the ice cream sandwiches from Trader Joe’s (which are her favorite). The party is store is closed so no balloons, although I may check the supermarket on Friday night.

We told her to pick out some custom Vans, or Nike Air Force Ones sneakers so she is still deciding what she wants. We also got her a necklace from Kendra Scott, which shares her first name (which is not common and often confused with a very popular name of girls her age), but I just feel like it is never going to be enough this year and she will be disappointed. Maybe I will go and look for more Office, Parks N Rec., or hockey player Funko toys, but otherwise I am at a loss.

Dd2’s birthday is April 29th as well, but that seems like a million years away at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 03-29-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Just reiterate that it sucks. My DD turned 14 less than 2 weeks ago. It wasn’t an ideal birthday, but that’s the new normal. I made pasta and a pineapple upside down cake. No decorations, no balloons.

Can you arrange a zoom party?
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would go old school and make party decorations out of construction / craft paper. Decorate the heck out of her door, the kitchen, whichever spot she’s using for school work. Let her make all the choices that day. She gets to pick breakfast, lunch and dinner. She gets to choose what they watch on TV. She gets to choose if she takes a bath first or if her sister goes first. It won’t be the same as celebrating with her friends but I think you can still make it special.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS's 8th birthday will be in a couple weeks. I feel especially bad because we did a very small-scale family party last year and I had promised this year would be a big friend party. And he's SO social. Plus this is the first year we would have had the chance to celebrate with his cousin, who now lives in town.

I'm thinking about having the girls help me set up some kind of treasure hunt for him with lots of little things. Or something. Just no idea how to make it special under these weird circumstances. I might splurge and buy hims omething extra cool if I can even think of something.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Can you have friends send videos of themselves wishing her a happy birthday and put them together into one video? Add some photos to it maybe? Or use Zoom to connect them in a virtual party.
    Kris

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ds2 just attended a 3 hr zoom bday party and everyone had a great time. They played video games but maybe something in there?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A friend of mine's daughter just had her 14th birthday a few days ago. She had a huge sign on the front lawn (I think she ordered it from a local company) that said "Quarantined @ 14, Happy Birthday ______".

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That is tough! It sounds like you already have some good plans in place. Maybe put up extra pictures around the house of her? Play her favorite music in the morning to start off on a good note? TJs has 99 cent cards that you could hang up as a garland on her door with birthday wishes inside.

Virtual PJ party? Netflix has a shared movie/chat option. DS and DD1 have both done that with friends. We just did a game party with teens from the neighborhood and they played Reverse Charades. Very fun. DH and I ran the game, if you like the idea I can share with you how we did it.

OH- Just thought of something!! For a relative's big birthday, I started a big group chat with family members and we put together a schedule so that he was getting texts, calls, and photos all day wishing him a happy birthday. He LOVED it. I can't remember now why he couldn't celebrate with us, but I remember how much fun we had setting it all up. We've now used this idea a few times. Could you do something like that with family and friends?

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We turn 13 on tuesday. I have a zoom party planned with her friends. When this is all over, she gets a sleepover for as many kids as she wants (we never do sleepovers, have a tiny house and I am not so into to having people over). She know me letting her invite a bunch of kids is a HUGE deal and will never happen again, so she is over the moon. She also understands the party could be this summer, it could be next summer, but I will keep my word.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS had his 14th last week and we were already under shelter in place. DOLLAR TREE has balloons, we got DQ cake and he picked Buffalo Wild Wings for takeout, his grandparents chose to come to dinner here. It was low key, he was glad all his buddies wished him happy birthday on snap chat and we'll have a sleepover party when this all ends!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast