Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

DD 'attended' a zoom bday party for her friend yesterday... they did it at 7 p.m., and each kid had their own dessert, so they could all sing to the bday kid and talk and eat. Lasted about 45 minutes.
    I've also been seeing a lot of bday parades on the news, where parents arrange for their kids' friends to drive by the house with signs, balloons, a siren, etc., honking, and wishing them a happy bday. Brought tears to my eyes.

I agree on doing whatever you can to make it special at home- the night before my kids' bdays, I put crepe paper/ streamers across their door, so they have to bust through it in the morning when leaving their bedroom. (You could also attach balloons.). Have balloons and bday banners hanging up in kitchen/ dining area. Balloons of their favorite colors attached with ribbons to the bar stool where they'll sit. I use a red "You are special today" plate for them. Card on top of plate. They pick breakfast (crepes or bakery donuts are popular with my kids), lunch, and dinner. Have siblings make them a card. Order your stuff from Amazon now; hopefully it'll get here in time.

Phone calls, video chats, cards in mail, e-mail messages- all of it is even more special and precious now, IMO.

Happy Birthday to your sweet daughter!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It was older DDs 14th birthday 2 weeks ago. I baked a cake and we cut it with friends on a zoom group video call. It's different, but it's how things are today.

for Sandy Hook

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Vehicle parades seem to be common here. Playing fav songs and throwing candy.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD2 had her birthday a week ago. We got takeout from a local restaurant, and I ordered her a cake from a bakery on Doordash. No decorations, no glitz. She understands the circumstances.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS had his birthday last week as well. It was suppose to be the year he got to have his first friend party. We always do a big family party but no friends. Only 2 kids ended up coming (7 were invited) to a local indoor water park. It was the last day it was open and a week before shelter in place went into effect here. He didn’t care, the 3 of them had a blast (even though I had to pay for the full minimum of 8 kids).
    But on his actual birthday we had donuts for breakfast, went out to lunch for his favorites, a shake from Culver’s and nacho fries, which of course they stopped having the week before! Another letdown!
    My parents and my in-laws came over for dinner and cake. He got too many gifts because I felt bad-he was suppose to go to his first Bucks Basketball game on his birthday that was no more.
    We tried to make the best of a rough situation.
    We will celebrate his birthday with family with his sisters birthdays hopefully this summer.

Ds turned 16 last week. We were originally supposed to leave that day for a soccer tournament in VA. He was certainly disappointed when the tournament got cancelled but understood. We ended up getting curbside pick up from a restaurant we love but hadn’t even to in awhile. Since he doesn’t like traditional cake I made a homemade icecream cake. So though the celebration was low key, it was still special. He also ended up staying up later than normal to play Xbox with his friends. I like the idea of using zoom to celebrate younger kids birthdays.

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ray7694 View Post
    Vehicle parades seem to be common here. Playing fav songs and throwing candy.
    A friend's daughter turned 18 and we did a parade for her...super special
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We just pulled out an old duplicate lego advent calendar to use to countdown to my son's birthday. He's turning 8 and has been so excited about this birthday.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just got an invite for a birthday car parade too. I think if it was my kiddo, the zoom party would be their choice.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For younger kids our police/fire are parading by, lights blazing and horns going. The fire truck plays Happy Birthday. There were about 3 cars, one fire truck and an ambulance. Hit two house in the 'hood this morning!!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2