Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I volunteer with our humane society, though we ended up adopting from another rescue. Our dog was being fostered in a busy home with kids and other pets... like our house. When I saw her and her description it seemed like a perfect match! Our girl (a poodle mix mutt) is totally happy in a crowd or chilling on the couch with us. She’s super smart, friendly with other dogs, and LOVES everyone she meets.

All humane societies are independently operated. Ours sound similar to yours though in that most small breed puppies/young dogs get adopted very fast- the younger the faster they go! That means the staff/volunteers don’t get to know the dog that well beyond basic temperament testing. The one exception is if the dog spends time with a foster before being placed up for adoption. This happens with puppies that still need to be with their mamas, or who need time to heal or get some training.

Sometimes if you come in a few times and fill out the paperwork to be in the system as an approved adopter, the counselors will give you a heads up if they see an animal that’s a good match for your family. They may know what puppies and dogs are currently in foster care and will be available for adoption soon. You might call and ask about this at your local shelter. Right now they probably have more animals than usual in foster care. This is a tough time for rescues.

Iggies!! Italian greyhounds are great dogs if you like a low energy cuddle buddy. They are not great for playing with kids, which is what our kids complain about. They are no/low shedding, don't bark (unless you're in the middle of an online lecture and they want to be covered up with a blanket because the other one uncovered them), and have great personalities. Don't get a male though. They pee on their front legs. Ours also don't like to go outside to potty if it's cold, rainy, windy, or anything but sunny. They are now quarantined in the kitchen with baby gates because our male will pee in the house for no apparent reason, even if it's sunny outside. However, our female is perfect in every way. We almost lost her two weeks ago, and the family was completely devastated. She is fine after a round of antibiotics, but we are all dreading the day she is not fine. Her name is Olive the Other Reindeer. There is an Italian Greyhound rescue in Texas, and I'm sure there are many others across the nation. It's pretty uncommon to find them in shelters, as the rescues snatch them up. There is also a need to adopt large greyhounds, as a track was recently closed in Florida and all dogs were shipped to Texas. I don't know how those compare to Iggies.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Zukeypur, I've never heard of Iggies! DH likes Greyhounds and Whippets, but I want a smaller dog. Looked around rescues in PA, none currently available but will keep an eye out. As I look at various shelters and rescues, I'm finding that a lot of the dogs are recommended to have another dog in the home to help "train" or keep company the new dog. Or they won't be placed with kids. Or cats. I know my list of wants is large, so this may take awhile to fill! It just seemed like such a good time to introduce a new pet to the family since we are all at home now and our summer vacation plans will most likely be postponed as well.

Might be too small but Coton de Tulear are so cute. My friend has one and I really like it, they don't shed and my friend's dog is almost cat like - not yappy and but likes to be around her people.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by roobee View Post
    Might be too small but Coton de Tulear are so cute. My friend has one and I really like it, they don't shed and my friend's dog is almost cat like - not yappy and but likes to be around her people.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk
    I have looked for those too! The small, non-shedding, cutesy dogs are just not available around here right now. Maybe that's a sign that I'm jumping into this too quickly and need to be patient!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Actually retired greyhounds make fabulous pets. They tend to be very chill. You'll have to housebreak but thats likely true of most dogs you get. You can basically NEVER let them off lead and they might not be a "playmate" for kids but they like to snuggle and be dressed up in cold weather.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Zukeypur, I've never heard of Iggies! DH likes Greyhounds and Whippets, but I want a smaller dog. Looked around rescues in PA, none currently available but will keep an eye out. As I look at various shelters and rescues, I'm finding that a lot of the dogs are recommended to have another dog in the home to help "train" or keep company the new dog. Or they won't be placed with kids. Or cats. I know my list of wants is large, so this may take awhile to fill! It just seemed like such a good time to introduce a new pet to the family since we are all at home now and our summer vacation plans will most likely be postponed as well.
    They are smaller than a Whippet, and the brindle coloring is not an "approved" color for iggies. Olive is grey and white, and Tucker the %$*#er is red fawn and white. They are super fast, super sweet, and super cuddly. They are the "cat" of the dog world. They do not, however, play with toys. They make the most unique noises to communicate, but do not bark when someone comes to the door. Tucker barks at the neighbor dogs, and they do occasionally bark at walkers, but they are most definitely guard dogs.

Obviously, I love my Iggies. Especially Olive, somewhat Tucker. Tucker's saving grace is that he has NEVER snapped at the kids, and he did not leave Olive's side when she was sick. Every time she yelled in pain, he ran to her side to protect her. It was sweet and heartbreaking. He's still a jerk for peeing in my house though. You should look up Penelope Goose on insta. She's a super cute and somewhat naughty iggy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2