bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default The Netherlands Coronavirus Response

I found this article really fascinating. The Netherlands is no backwoods country but it seems their early Coronavirus strategy was ill-conceived even if well intentioned. To me this serves as both a grim warning but also a reminder that we really know so little and even if we’re trying, we might make a mistake. It helps me give grace to other people, in a way, that interpret social distancing differently than I do. (It also makes me want to me more careful).

Would love your thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...-covid-19/amp/
    Last edited by bisous; 03-30-2020 at 09:38 AM.

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What's the article?

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Forgot to attach it but I just did!

Oh that surprises me a lot about The Netherlands. Someone had a very poor thought out idea, and like in the US, we are seeing different responses from government to the virus. In NY, you have a clear picture of how many are really infected with the virus because they are not being so restrictive about who can get tested. Then in other states, like CA, you have so few able to get tested, so you don't know the real spread of the virus there. How could the Dutch government think the could expose people at a "controlled pace?" It's really outrageous, and I'm sure neighboring countries are really pissed about it because it will only cause more spread now.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is a very interesting article especially with its comparison to Germany.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I saw a while ago that they were trying herd immunity and I thought the first problem with that is I don’t think we know yet for sure if you are immune after you have it. The latest I saw is that you may be immune but they don’t know for how long. So to me it seems crazy that they even thought it would work in the first place.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    Oh that surprises me a lot about The Netherlands. Someone had a very poor thought out idea, and like in the US, we are seeing different responses from government to the virus. In NY, you have a clear picture of how many are really infected with the virus because they are not being so restrictive about who can get tested. Then in other states, like CA, you have so few able to get tested, so you don't know the real spread of the virus there. How could the Dutch government think the could expose people at a "controlled pace?" It's really outrageous, and I'm sure neighboring countries are really pissed about it because it will only cause more spread now.
    Just to clarify, as I'm a W.NY'er, there are a lot of restrictions on who can get tested in NY. Maybe NYC area is different, but in upstate if you aren't admitted to the ICU or checkbox every single symptom, they won't test you. Coworker with every symptom but a fever was refused a test. Sadly, that means our cases in NY being reported are only a small fraction of the actual.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Just to clarify, as I'm a W.NY'er, there are a lot of restrictions on who can get tested in NY. Maybe NYC area is different, but in upstate if you aren't admitted to the ICU or checkbox every single symptom, they won't test you. Coworker with every symptom but a fever was refused a test. Sadly, that means our cases in NY being reported are only a small fraction of the actual.
    In that case, the cases are even more underreported, even in NY. We will have a lot to learn by watching which local governments handled this the right way, and which did not, especially as testing is left up to local governments rather than mandates from the state or federal level.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by div_0305 View Post
    In that case, the cases are even more underreported, even in NY. We will have a lot to learn by watching which local governments handled this the right way, and which did not, especially as testing is left up to local governments rather than mandates from the state or federal level.
    Exactly. No one is rallying the presumed positives. The “you probably have it but aren’t in the ICU so we won’t test you” cases and the “you live with someone is positive so presume you are positive and we won’t test you” cases. I’d dare to say there will be millions of those and no one is counting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Exactly. No one is rallying the presumed positives. The “you probably have it but aren’t in the ICU so we won’t test you” cases and the “you live with someone is positive so presume you are positive and we won’t test you” cases. I’d dare to say there will be millions of those and no one is counting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with this estimate. Our public health official who was giving the numbers today said that the actual numbers are much higher than what she reports each day because of the lack of tests and strict testing requirements. She said she feels people are getting complacent because our numbers are still on the low side.