WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Know of any ESL classes online to get certified?

I've wanted to add (or add back!) ESL/ ESOL certification to my teaching certificate. Seems like a great time to do it if I can find a good online course. Checked out Coursera, but ended up getting spooked by the Coursera reviews and the choppiness of the presentation. The class was from Arizona State University, and it seemed fine, but it stretched 15 hours of coursework over 6 weeks. I'd like to go faster.

Got any other recommendations for online learning of ESL strategies? The Quizlet stuff I found was more about quizzing, not just learning the current framework. I did 300 hours of in-class learning years ago, but let it lapse as I was heading to grad school in counseling...now I want something to do part-time if I can't find an intervention job. My state doesn't require coursework (only pass the Praxis test on the subject!) but I'd like to be prepared for the test and the task of educating new English learners.

Ideally, a course I can login to, read, take some quizzes online, then print out a certificate and submit for my license renewal would be great. The last courses I did were $70 each, and I needed 5 of them, so not too bad. Thanks for any ideas!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had to take a specific set of classes, and I did it though the university of San Diego, all online. They offer a variety of classes. I had to read articles, post a few responses online and that was about it. I think I had to do one online project (like make a powerpoint), but I can't remember exactly. It wasn't too difficult, and I managed to finish them in a short time.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I had to take a specific set of classes, and I did it though the university of San Diego, all online. They offer a variety of classes. I had to read articles, post a few responses online and that was about it. I think I had to do one online project (like make a powerpoint), but I can't remember exactly. It wasn't too difficult, and I managed to finish them in a short time.
    Was it this one? https://pce.sandiego.edu/public/cate...StreamId=21518 It's $2290, a little more than I was hoping, but I do love San Diego and would like to imagine myself going to school there, lol.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Was it this one? https://pce.sandiego.edu/public/cate...StreamId=21518 It's $2290, a little more than I was hoping, but I do love San Diego and would like to imagine myself going to school there, lol.
    I just had to take a few separate classes for a California requirement to be credentialed. I didn't do a full certificate program.