Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What does your grocery store look like?

We're not getting out much, but I did go to the grocery store this week for some produce and milk. I was pretty shocked at how ugly is was.

Produce mostly OK, though I think that the prices are a bit higher, maybe 10%?

Dry grocery is still full of holes. No rice or dry beans at all. Pasta is 90% out of stock. Canned beans and tomatoes 90% out of stock. Still no toilet paper or paper towels, no hand soap or sanitizer, no bleach, no sanitizer wipes, no Lysol. Diapers 90% out of stock, no baby wipes at all. Can soup 80% out of stock, and dry soup like ramen pretty much gone. No flour at all, no yeast, very little sugar. They were out of tortillas, but a bunch arrived while I was there. Dry cereal low but in stock, crackers the same. Very little bottled water, but I was able to get the distilled water I needed. Unhealthy foods like soda, packaged cookies, and pop tarts were remarkably in stock. Pet foods and litter maybe 75% out of stock.

No eggs of any kind, liquid milk OK but had strict limits, other dairy like cheese and yogurt, cottage cheese and sour cream were ok. Bread was fine, though I'm told other local stores were out. All of the bulk foods were pulled for safety. Meat department was scary - they had plenty of food, but not their usual; lots of premade foods. Lots of ground beef and boneless skinless chicken breast, but no skin-on chicken or whole birds, no legs or thighs. Very little in the way of steaks or roasts. Very little fish. Frozen foods like pizza, fish sticks, corn dogs, pot pies 80% out of stock, frozen individual meals 50%, frozen veg mostly gone.

I didn't think things would be this crazy for so long. How do do stores look where you are? (Please say what state or city for comparison.) We are in Washington State, about two hours south of Seattle.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Trader Joe’s was perfect. No holes at all! Toilet paper, dry goods, dairy, meat, produce...
    Local grocery store fully stocked minus toilet paper.
    Target was picked over in groceries (I grabbed the last box of chicken stock). Plenty of things in stock but it wasn’t like normal by a long shot. Paper towels but no toilet paper.
    Whole Foods is not looking awesome online. Not sure how it is in person but my cart keeps losing stuff. I also can’t check out/ get a delivery spot. I started with 30 items in my cart 2 days ago and down to 18 in stock items.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Two stores in 2 weeks: I went right at opening.

Trader Joe’s almost two weeks ago. It was well stocked except for pasta (only one shape), no ramen, low on rice. No toilet paper.

Aldi one week ago: well stocked but no rice. Not many eggs. I didn’t look for TP.

I’m planning on going to TJs in a few days.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We're not getting out much, but I did go to the grocery store this week for some produce and milk. I was pretty shocked at how ugly is was.

Produce mostly OK, though I think that the prices are a bit higher, maybe 10%?

Dry grocery is still full of holes. No rice or dry beans at all. Pasta is 90% out of stock. Canned beans and tomatoes 90% out of stock. Still no toilet paper or paper towels, no hand soap or sanitizer, no bleach, no sanitizer wipes, no Lysol. Diapers 90% out of stock, no baby wipes at all. Can soup 80% out of stock, and dry soup like ramen pretty much gone. No flour at all, no yeast, very little sugar. They were out of tortillas, but a bunch arrived while I was there. Dry cereal low but in stock, crackers the same. Very little bottled water, but I was able to get the distilled water I needed. Unhealthy foods like soda, packaged cookies, and pop tarts were remarkably in stock. Pet foods and litter maybe 75% out of stock.

No eggs of any kind, liquid milk OK but had strict limits, other dairy like cheese and yogurt, cottage cheese and sour cream were ok. Bread was fine, though I'm told other local stores were out. All of the bulk foods were pulled for safety. Meat department was scary - they had plenty of food, but not their usual; lots of premade foods. Lots of ground beef and boneless skinless chicken breast, but no skin-on chicken or whole birds, no legs or thighs. Very little in the way of steaks or roasts. Very little fish. Frozen foods like pizza, fish sticks, corn dogs, pot pies 80% out of stock, frozen individual meals 50%, frozen veg mostly gone.

I didn't think things would be this crazy for so long. How do do stores look where you are? (Please say what state or city for comparison.) We are in Washington State, about two hours south of Seattle.
    Ours looks pretty much like this.
    Although last Saturday was a bit better, I got some rice and canned beans and frozen chicken breasts.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

I usually shop at Aldi, Target, and a local grocery store a few minutes from our house (for bakery items and some random groceries)....
    I haven't been to Aldi for a few weeks, probably, and Target for at least that long, but went to our locally owned grocery store yesterday (first time I'd shopped in 2-3 weeks). Lots of holes in canned soup and soup broth (my mom wanted me to get her some chicken broth, and it was very picked over). Also very little toilet paper, but there still was an o.k. amount to choose from (not the 'nicer' brands, though), and signs saying limit 1. Pasta sauce was very low. Eggs were actually in o.k. No bulk candies or nuts, and there weren't bakery cookies and things on little tables by the registers. I didn't go through all of the aisles, but it didn't look as bad as I expected.

We're in the upper midwest.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We are doing deliveries now so I haven’t actually been in a while but my friends have. It tends to be well stocked in the afternoon and mornings, but if you go around lunchtime it’s hard to get certain items.

However, our stores were much worse two weeks ago. I’m in the CA bay area and that’s when everyone was hoarding here. Now things have settled down and most of the hoarders are done. Some things do still sell out faster than others, but Costco for instance, is limiting eggs and tp to one per person. The majority of items seem to be fully stocked if you go at the right time, according to my friends.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I went today, last grocery trip was 10 days ago. Costco was pretty well stocked though I didn't check for TP, they had flour in stock finally which has been out everywhere in our city. Grocery store was better stocked than the last time, there were several types of pasta, still very picked over in canned beans, canned tomatoes, but last time those things were completely gone. Last time all canned fruit & vegetables, boxed mac & cheese and similar were completely gone, today those things were pretty well stocked. I mostly needed fresh produce and that was completely normal stock-wise. Eggs have tripled in price at the grocery store but I bought our regular eggs at Costco and the price had not changed. A lot of the things that grocery store had limited purchase on before, did not have limits today (milk, eggs, etc). Flour was still completely gone at the grocery store. Grocery store pulled all of their bulk spices and was in the process of emptying the bulk bins of flour/rice/granola/etc. I shopped between 4-6pm, and I'm in the northern Rocky Mtn area.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I ventured out to Trader Joe's for the first time in 21 days (usually we go 3 times a week)! They are only allowing a few people in the store at once in order to keep to the 6 feet apart minimums and even had taped markings on the floor in the store so visually people could see how far apart they needed to be. It took 40 minutes for me to get in the store (line outside surrounded the entire parking lot perimeter, but everyone was spaced at least 6 feet apart). I spent about 2 hours last night planning out 10 dinners and my shopping list. I wore a face mask for the first time and probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of the people at the store were wearing masks too, but none of the workers were. They were stocking continuously during the entire time I was in the store and all the shelves were fully stocked, except for no toilet paper or flour. It took me over an hour to get everything on my list. Hoping we can go another 2+ weeks before going to the store again. $450 spent!!!

I think I will be the only one going to the store from here on out. DH went to Costco last week, but since he's the only one working and men seem to be more severely affected by the virus, I think it's best for me to go.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I haven’t been to a store in 2 weeks. The last time was to Target and everything was well stocked. But I only stopped for a few things. For the last 3 weeks I’ve been ordering the majority of our groceries through Instacart from our local grocery store. They have most everything I want to buy although not always in the quantity/size that I want. But what I have noticed is that the delivery services are booking our further and further. Our local health authorities just warned that the next few weeks are going to be rough here (even though the number of local COVID19 cases is staying steady and isn’t anywhere near as dire as in New York). I’m guessing that has people scared and they are more and more using the delivery services versus going out themselves. If this is the case, it’s great as it means locals are taking this social distancing thing seriously. But it means more planning ahead for me which will take a little getting used to.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was lucky and stocked up before things went downhill. I also managed to get a couple of deliveries/pickups scheduled. I have only been out once. to TJs, last Friday. They had everything. Even TP. Plenty of eggs, milk, and meat. They turned their “diner” into a flower display. Like Latia’s, our TJs had 6ft markers taped on the ground.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast