Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do You Order/Eat Takeout Right Now?

We have been cooking at home for weeks now. I've been very leery of eating food from other sources as I cannot control who is asymptomatic but infected and don't want to invite it into our home. But I also know it would be such a treat for all of us to have a takeout meal, something different. Are you all eating takeout? What sort of precautions are you taking?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've been very careful with everything, but we have ordered take out at least once a week. We used to go out to eat all of the time, so ordering take out once a week is a cut back for us. I hate to cook and we have such a tiny kitchen, so cooking lunch and dinner every day 7 days a week is just not going to happen. Between trying to teach my own kids and my kindergarten class, I'm already losing my mind. I just need a break of cooking every now and then.

We put our food on our own plates and wash our hands and throw away containers, but that is all we have done differently with takeout. So far the CDC says it isn't transmitted via food. (but I understand they may not be 100% correct on any statements that they make).

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sure. Not much but we will. I have time to cook that I don’t usually have so I’ve been cooking more.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’m currently waiting in my car pending notification on my order being ready at a great Indian restaurant. We just wanted something different. We’ve done takeout about once/week.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, we get takeout a couple times a week...I don't have time (or patience!) to cook every single meal for the entire family every single day! Precautions we take:

• Only one person goes (if you must take children, then I'd stick to places offering curbside delivery - lots are these days!)
    • Disinfect hands once the transaction is complete, especially if you have to walk in, touch a door, hand over a credit card. I also disinfect the credit card, car keys. Chlorox wipes or hand sanitizer or even spraying with 70% alcohol. I keep all this in the car so I can do it before I touch the steering wheel. In fact, I keep a tub of Chlorox wipes belted into the front passenger seat for anytime someone has to go out (grocery, drugstore, takeout). If you're lucky enough to have Chlorox wipes, this makes it easy.
    • Come home, shoes off at the door, and have a designated place to set down packages (e.g. end of kitchen counter)
    • Wash hands well and then set all of your serving/dinnerware out onto a clean location (e.g. dining table).
    • Take food out of bags and unpack food onto your serving/dinnerware. I don't get too crazy...if it's in an aluminum tray I just take off the lid and move the tray to the dining table. If it's in a box, I take food out of the box and plate it. I honestly don't worry tooooo much about touching the food. Once all the food is set out for consumption, then discard all packaging (bags, etc), disinfect the place where you set down the packaging (e.g. end of kitchen counter), wipe down any doorknobs, light switches, etc that you touched when you came in and set down the packages.
    • Wash hands well, have everyone else wash hands well.
    • Eat!

And, it wouldn't hurt to wear a mask when you do go out. Oh, and pizza is easy - follow the steps above but once you come home, set down the pizza, prop open the lids, wash hands well and then just have everyone grab a slice straight out of the box! One of my favorite places to put pizza boxes is directly on top of the gas stove grill (cool, of course). Then I don't even worry about sanitizing...whatever I'm cooking next on that stove will still be safe to eat.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 04-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Nope, this is an absolute no for me. We will eat dry cereal for dinner before we eat takeout as long as the virus is circulating in our community.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have had take out twice since the stay at home started on 3/19 here. We ate at McDonalds the first Friday and I honestly didn’t think it was all that great (and TBH I like McDonalds most times I order it....about 3-4 year), and last weekend DH and I went to grab fish tacos at Wahoos (which is our favorite fish taco place). On Saturday we are going through the drive thru at In N Out Burger because it is DD1’s birthday and that is what she wants for her birthday dinner.

We have always replated food once we have gotten home so that is nothing new for us.

I just sanitize my hands as soon as I get in the car, and then wash them as soon as I get home before I eat and that has been a habit since child hood so nothing new there.

I am way more okay with picking up my own take out vs. having someone deliver it for me. If I ever get to the point where I just can’t leave the house I will not get take out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We had pizza 2 weeks ago and are considering it for tomorrow. I'm not sure. We don't eat out and have never done take out other than pizza 2-3 times a month. So, we aren't really making any changes .
    Kris

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No, we do not. The convenience isn't worth the risk, even if such a risk is small - we have a high risk person in our household. There is so much that is unclear right now, we are doing all that we can do to avoid risk. And I can personally tell you, after 20+ years in working with food: there's almost never sick leave. Everyone goes to work sick, it's expected. (Oh the tales I could tell!)

Instead, we have cooked easy stuff like premade pot pies, fish sticks, and the like when we need a break. Also, a simple yogurt, granola and fruit for lunch is a break and can skip cooking for a meal.
    We also make double-size meals often, and put half in the freezer. That way, I can pull out a frozen pasta sauce or chili or soup, put it in the crockpot in the morning and have dinner ready.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    We put our food on our own plates and wash our hands and throw away containers, but that is all we have done differently with takeout. So far the CDC says it isn't transmitted via food. (but I understand they may not be 100% correct on any statements that they make).
    This is about what we've done too. We've done delivery twice. Will probably do it again this weekend.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast