Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For those who won't do takeout, are you also not grocery shopping? Curious because that seems way more germy to me (I'm not an expert). I have gone shopping twice in the past 3 weeks. I won't have to go again for a month BUT we will run out of fresh foods. We can do it and get by with canned/frozen/root veggies and fruits but it isn't how we usually eat.

It may sound weird but we're inclined to eat out MORE right now. We have more money (at least for now, since we're both working and not commuting) and we're trying to help our local places. We normally can't afford to eat out.

The grocery store experience is not fun for me. We're otherwise totally socially distancing and the vibe is so strange now! Every stranger on the street is a potential germ fest. I'm having not so much a hard time staying in, but a hard time going out! By contrast, takeout feels easy to me.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Do You Order/Eat Takeout Right Now?

Just curious, for those that said they prefer picking up the food vs. delivery, how are you handling groceries? I was thinking delivery is less exposure to germs. It’s one person dropping the food at the porch vs. walking into a store with many customers and employees. Same with meal kits, one person leaving a box on my porch. I have not ordered food delivery yet, but when I start to need stuff that is what I will probably do.

DH is working on renovating the basement right now since he is home so much. He needs more drywall and wanted to go to Lowe’s. I talked him into ordering online and picking up at the store so that he doesn’t have to go into the store and get everything himself, then wait in a checkout line. I’d prefer delivery, but don’t want to pay the delivery fee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ang79; 04-02-2020 at 11:46 PM.

We are still going to the grocery store. I’ve never done grocery delivery. I thought about it last year, but honestly didn’t want to pay the premium. I did pick-up A handful of times back before this all started, but decided I would just rather shop myself.

We just found out the DH will need to take a two-week furlough by the end of June. This doesn’t seem like the time to add the expense of grocery delivery, and I will probably cut back on takeout.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No, not doing any take out. We just don’t feel it’s the best choice. And with income uncertain for the foreseeable future, it’s just not financially responsible for us.
    K

We've never done grocery delivery until last week. We did it through CVS, a local grocery chain, and Aldi (Instacart with at least two of those). I wasn't thrilled with the many substitutions they made, especially at the grocery store, and the produce, in particular, was really a bummer. Most of a strawberry carton was mushy and moldy (we threw out almost all of them), and the grapes were yucky and mushy. I know that beggars can't be choosers, especially now, but it just seemed like the shopper just grabbed the first thing they saw without looking at it... not sure if it's usually like this, or if they're just having a harder time finding people to work there, but it made me decide to just keep going to the store myself. I had originally told my mom she should order her groceries to limit exposure, but I'm worried her experience will be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Just curious, for those that said they prefer picking up the food vs. delivery, how are you handling groceries? I was thinking delivery is less exposure to germs. It’s one person dropping the food at the porch vs. walking into a store with many customers and employees.
    That's how we feel, which is why we've done delivery (and we never did delivery before; always picked up). Going to pick up risks interaction with people while there is none with delivery.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    For those who won't do takeout, are you also not grocery shopping? Curious because that seems way more germy to me (I'm not an expert). I have gone shopping twice in the past 3 weeks. I won't have to go again for a month BUT we will run out of fresh foods. We can do it and get by with canned/frozen/root veggies and fruits but it isn't how we usually eat.
    Just curious, for those that said they prefer picking up the food vs. delivery, how are you handling groceries? I was thinking delivery is less exposure to germs. It’s one person dropping the food at the porch vs. walking into a store with many customers and employees. Same with meal kits, one person leaving a box on my porch. I have not ordered food delivery yet, but when I start to need stuff that is what I will probably do.
    Agree! I think going grocery shopping is way more of a risk and so much more of a process to stay safe. I don't want to go grocery shopping any more than every 2 weeks. If I could, I'd do grocery delivery only, but it's impossible to get a time slot here. We're pretty much staying in exclusively, but I'm a homebody so it's not hard. I don't even feel a need to walk around my neighborhood or anything. DH is still running at the park a few mornings a week and I'd much prefer if he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    That's how we feel, which is why we've done delivery (and we never did delivery before; always picked up). Going to pick up risks interaction with people while there is none with delivery.
    I feel the same way and we've had delivery twice, once a week basically which is how often we'd eat out before. We had pizza delivery the first week and Mexican last week.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don’t understand the comparison between grocery and takeout. If of you only half-a&$ plan you should manage to get a weeks food. You would till need to grocery shop and do take out. As far as food. The food in the grocery store is sealed. You can not open it right away (like 24 hours for cardboard boxes) wipe down plastics, wash fruit. I can’t guarantee all the steps in the food prep. In many ways I would prefer the delivery of groceries. But the slots are impossible now and since its not clear what will be it stock we need to go. I think with social distancing and good hand hygiene it’s as good as one can do.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

DH is working on renovating the basement right now since he is home so much. He needs more drywall and wanted to go to Lowe’s. I talked him into ordering online and picking up at the store so that he doesn’t have to go into the store and get everything himself, then wait in a checkout line. I’d prefer delivery, but don’t want to pay the delivery fee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1. I don’t feel strongly either way. Most restaurants are bringing things to your car so it’s not really very different in terms of interaction. I did have to go in yesterday but I was the only customer and my food was waiting on a table right inside the door.
    2. Here’s my thought- don’t order online for pick up. Why? Because you’re absolutely guaranteed to have to interact with the cashier and probably have to wait in line. If you just go in, wipe down the cart, stay away from shoppers, get your stuff and do self checkout then you limit interactions. On the other hand, you have to walk through more of the store which I guess could be risky. But, that was my thought process. We needed something at Home Depot so I thought it through. Turns out it was eligible for delivery so no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We did once for a special occasion because it meant a lot to my kids to keep that tradition and it was super stressful. I read reputable sources on how food isn’t a hospitable environment, primary concerns is handling and people contact, etc., but I’m keenly aware that there simply hasn’t been enough time for people to know with certainty. A lot of the things we are all doing now seemed like crazy overkill a month ago. I went alone to get it, washed hands, held onto the food containers and unceremoniously dumped the food onto clean plates DH was holding with his clean hands to take inside and reheat (extra measure of heat) while I trashed the containers so they never came in the house.

I do not understand the comparison to grocery stores either unless you are eating out and not going to the store. You still have to go to the store. I would rather not go, but I have to (same issue with time slots) and I can make sure I am going no more than once every 2 weeks … if that. Every trip I make or every contact with a person increases risks so the less of it I can do the better. And while I certainly do not want to get the virus, I know there is a possibility I could be an asymptomatic carrier. I do not want to get anyone sick anymore than I want to get sick. Plus, we were never big on eating out so it's not a big loss.

ETA: But I think you should do takeout if it matters to you. None of us can eliminate the risk without going crazy. We have to work on reducing it. Frequent takeout isn’t important to us and barely was worth it for that one special event, but other things like running and biking in our neighborhood are and we certainly risk it there.
    Last edited by specialp; 04-03-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast