Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    For those who won't do takeout, are you also not grocery shopping? Curious because that seems way more germy to me (I'm not an expert). I have gone shopping twice in the past 3 weeks. I won't have to go again for a month BUT we will run out of fresh foods. We can do it and get by with canned/frozen/root veggies and fruits but it isn't how we usually eat.

It may sound weird but we're inclined to eat out MORE right now. We have more money (at least for now, since we're both working and not commuting) and we're trying to help our local places. We normally can't afford to eat out.

The grocery store experience is not fun for me. We're otherwise totally socially distancing and the vibe is so strange now! Every stranger on the street is a potential germ fest. I'm having not so much a hard time staying in, but a hard time going out! By contrast, takeout feels easy to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Just curious, for those that said they prefer picking up the food vs. delivery, how are you handling groceries? I was thinking delivery is less exposure to germs. It’s one person dropping the food at the porch vs. walking into a store with many customers and employees. Same with meal kits, one person leaving a box on my porch. I have not ordered food delivery yet, but when I start to need stuff that is what I will probably do.

DH is working on renovating the basement right now since he is home so much. He needs more drywall and wanted to go to Lowe’s. I talked him into ordering online and picking up at the store so that he doesn’t have to go into the store and get everything himself, then wait in a checkout line. I’d prefer delivery, but don’t want to pay the delivery fee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We’re not doing takeout and we’re having our groceries delivered. I have a pretty stocked pantry but we need milk, bread, fruit and veggies every two weeks or so. So far we’ve been able to get delivery slots but they are harder to get now. We will revisit the issue when slots aren’t available at all but for now this is working.

We do a few times a week, in big part b/c our grocery stores still suck. We haven't been able to get lots of meats for like a month now. Getting food out let's us stretch our trips to the store out longer (but are still way too often for my liking. If we could find everything in enough for 6 people then we'd gladly go less. We do do walmart grocery pickup which is probably part of the problem but at least avoids the store.)

This week we had Texas Roadhouse (enough for 2 meals!) and tacos as take out.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post

This week we had Texas Roadhouse (enough for 2 meals!) and tacos as take out.
    Thanks for the reminder. People have been posting about their family deals, and it definitely seems like enough for a couple of meals. That might be on the menu tonight.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We don’t have any restaurants open for taken out. Only via delivery and it’s not many of them. All the chains we were comfortable eating out with my food allergic DS have closed. No fast food places open here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been sheltering in place since March 13th. We're doing one meal - drive-thru or curbside pick-up - per week. It's been on the weekend to make them feel a little bit different and then one birthday celebration.

We did a DQ drive-thru meal as a kid request.

We did a local mexican place curbside the first weekend. It was pricey with individual dishes, but with the leftovers we had two full meals and supplemented a couple more snacks so in the end it was worth it. This place and a couple others are now offering more "family" style options instead of typical individual entrees.

The birthday celebration was a local BBQ place. We were able to eat BBQ meat from that for three days of heaven.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We have not yet. I’m totally sick of cooking every damn meal. We are trying to decide if it’s worth the risk. It doesn’t sound like transmission through food is a risk at all, but more so packing or contact with restaurant workers. I’m guessing we will break down and do so at some point. We typically eat our or take in twice a week. So 3+ weeks of me cooking is a long time. Last restaurant experience was on my birthday on March 11. (I have lost a few pounds...intermittent fasting for a month did nothing, but being quarantined at home...results.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am also losing weight! It’s odd....because I have been cooking a lot of delicious meals and can’t figure out why I would be losing. Sure I am super stressed but to be honest have been more stressed before. We have even been eating cake, banana bread, cookies. I’m actually baffled.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I am also losing weight! It’s odd....because I have been cooking a lot of delicious meals and can’t figure out why I would be losing. Sure I am super stressed but to be honest have been more stressed before. We have even been eating cake, banana bread, cookies. I’m actually baffled.
    I'm continuing to lose weight too, also while baking daily (although mostly for the kids), but I am doing intermittent fasting.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ME TOO!!!! I had been doing IF already with VERY SLOW results (like, losing a pound every 3 months) but the quarantine diet...I've lost 3 pounds already since mid-March and we've also been baking unhealthy things. I think a lot of it is just reduced food intake...before that second serving I think to myself if I REALLY need a second serving and how that means I'd have to hit the grocery store more frequently if I do...so then I pass on the second serving. I'm not feeling hungry...I think the situation is just forcing to top of mind how much food we eat vs how much food we really NEED to eat.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ME TOO!!!! I had been doing IF already with VERY SLOW results (like, losing a pound every 3 months) but the quarantine diet...I've lost 3 pounds already since mid-March and we've also been baking unhealthy things. I think a lot of it is just reduced food intake...before that second serving I think to myself if I REALLY need a second serving and how that means I'd have to hit the grocery store more frequently if I do...so then I pass on the second serving. I'm not feeling hungry...I think the situation is just forcing to top of mind how much food we eat vs how much food we really NEED to eat.

I managed to avoid the Freshman 15 in college, but pretty sure I'm heading for the Quarantine 15 now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast