Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm working on this too. I feel like I haven't figured out the rhythm of how much and what kinds of things we eat with everyone home all the time. Here's what I have so far:

Make a soup each week so we have leftovers for lunch or to freeze
    Taco Tuesday
    Spaghetti and meatballs
    Whole chicken in the instant pot one night with veggies and a grain on the side, use for shredded chicken sandwiches or chicken salad another night, extra chicken goes in soup or with salad for lunch.
    Homemade pizza, make extras for easy lunches
    So many smoothies
    Plan for a bag of frozen veggies a day

I'm also thinking more of which items will last: https://www.budgetbytes.com/long-las...ing-isolation/

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just went grocery shopping yesterday with a list to make 11 dinners. My mom is living here now so we're a family of 5. I have a lot of ground beef and chicken in my freezer so based my meals around those. My 11 meals which I hope last 2 weeks due to leftovers are:

Lasagna
    Minestrone soup
    Enchilada casserole
    Meatloaf muffins
    Tacos
    Chili
    Gyros
    Blackened tilapia
    BBQ chicken
    Salmon cakes
    Lemon alfredo chicken fettuccine

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh and I'm really loving that SuperCook app to help me not waste food! I had a random half container of ricotta cheese left that I had no idea what to do with. The SuperCook app listed orange ricotta cheese muffins that I made today!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

California is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH and I have a system of switching each week on who makes dinner/who cleans the kitchen. Trying to coordinate past a week is causing some intense (friendly intense, but intense) planning here. Our grocery stores aren't fully stocked. And if something's out that I requested, for instance, and he's at the store, he can't text because he doesn't want to touch his phone. So we have to pre-plan backups and do a post-grocery-store mission report. It's ridiculous. But also funny.

Fridays we are now getting take out. Kids are taking turns picking a local family-owned restaurant. It's our celebration that we've made it through another week (schools closed on a Friday.)

All vegetarian weekly plan:
    1. Shopping day- takes so much work now, we went with a simple dinner of pasta and fresh veggies, and a fresh baguette (which has now become a treat for the kids)
    2. Fajitas with fresh veggies, guacamole
    Eat out day!
    3. Mix of roasted veggies, simple salad, kids made very fancy Mac n cheese from a box (doubled veggies, eat with a fried egg for lunch)
    4. Chinese-take out style broccoli and tofu (Instant Pot recipe.) made big pot of rice to use with other recipes
    Now getting into the less produce-intensive stuff:
    5. Chana Masala bowl - no fresh veggies needed, rice (would have been naan bread but kids ate it all) (doubled, served leftovers for lunches)
    6. Chili with sweet potatoes and other hardy vegetables and tempeh (double, freeze batch)
    7. Really easy stir fry using frozen fake chicken, canned pineapple, green onion, and cashews, plus, of course, rice! (double recipe, eat for lunches)

We're also having smoothies every day, which we pack a lot of spinach and kale into so I don't have to worry about getting greens into every dinner.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

California and mikala-- Would you mind sharing your favorite smoothie recipes? Bonus points if they contain greens!
    We are doing smoothies more here too but my kids are getting sick of the 2 we rotate between most often.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    California and mikala-- Would you mind sharing your favorite smoothie recipes? Bonus points if they contain greens!
    We are doing smoothies more here too but my kids are getting sick of the 2 we rotate between most often.
    I found a great recipe about 3 years ago that is easy to remember and easy to adapt. Everytime ive changed up the recipe it has turned out tasty.

1cup fruit juice (any kind or a mix)
    1cup frozen fruit
    1cup Greek yogurt (plain or flavored)
    2-3 Tablespoons honey
    Throw together and blend.

I frequently throw in fruit that’s a day away from going bad. I also add a handful of baby spinach leaves to the blender almost always. I’ve changed up the juice or done a mix of juices and I’ve used different flavored yogurts. I’ve even added avocados to make the smoothie more creamy. If it’s too thick, add a little more juice.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

This past week from Sunday to this Sunday;

Sunday; meatballs, red sauce over pasta
    Monday-turkey tacos with fixings
    Tuesday-salmon, jasmine and green beans
    Wednesday-salmon cakes and red cabbage salad
    Thursday-homemade chicken cutlets bakes in Panko and marina sauce with mixed vegetables and polish noodles
    Tonight-Mexican delivery from small local.
    Saturday-make your own pizza
    Sunday-not sure

For lunches daily we’ve been either having sandwiches from our Panni sandwich maker or various soups I make and freeze; chicken barley soup, pasta fugali soup, turkey chili soup. Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

You guys are impressive. I can only really plan about 3 days worth of dinners.

Went to store last week Sunday, and got items for..

Dinners
    Chicken prosciutto bake with green beans
    Salmon with broccolini and smashed potatoes
    Chicken parm meatballs with spaghetti squash (or pasta if you're under the age of 18)

Lunch
    butternut squash/kale/sausage soup
    homemade tomato soup
    sourdough/cheddar/bacon for grilled cheese

Breakfast
    cereal for kids
    prosciutto/blue cheese/spinach omelette for adults
    scones + bacon one day

necessities: ice cream, snacks, etc., made cookies

We got take out for dinner Wed-Friday... now it's time to go stock up again.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

California is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Happy to share these two smoothie recipes that we got from a friend. Both are a big hit with my family!

We have a blendtec and use the smoothie setting:

Pina Colada:
    2 tbs chia seeds
    2 pitted dates
    2 huge handfuls of greens (right now we're going through a big bag of spinach from Costco- spinach, kale, chard all work)
    1 banana
    2 cups of frozen pinapple
    1 cup of coconut milk
    2 tbs of coconut cream
    Please note we ran out of coconut milk and cream, and it still tastes great with other plant based milks (no coconut flavor, but still good!)

Blueberry Mango:
    2 pitted dates
    2 tbs of chia seeds
    2 huge handfuls of greens
    1 banana
    1 cup plant-based milk
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    1 cup frozen mango

We make variations on this every day. We now use frozen banana, and while we have dates we often omit them and the smoothie still tastes great.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    ... Anyway, how do you plan for 2 weeks? What meals are in your rotation?
    I use my freezer A LOT and instead of fresh produce, I buy frozen.

My usual meal plan looks like this:

MONDAY: pasta/sauce (jarred), with meatballs or sausage if we have them, and frozen broccoli (made in the microwave)
    TUESDAY: Tacos (with rice & corn) or InstantPot poached chicken salad - if making chicken salad, I also buy celery
    WEDNESDAY: grill or sheet pan supper or crock pot
    THURSDAY: Leftovers
    FRIDAY: breakfast for dinner or sheet pan supper or grill (depends on what we have in the house)

I try to keep everything really loose so that if I don't feel like pasta on Monday that I can swap in something else that's as low-effort.

I'm not tied to anything in the plan, so we can be really flexible (except when I need to thaw ground meat) most weeks. And I pull out breakfast for dinner a lot because it's easy, nobody complains, and it's relatively low-effort.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2