Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Time dilation... what are you doing with the kids (as a family) every night?

Pre-covid 19, we used to have various activities many nights (sports, occasional things like book club, school events like concerts, parent ed. speakers at school, conferences, date nights, plus homework on weeknights, etc.). Now that we have nothing scheduled at night, and nothing we have to do, I'm trying to come up with more things to do to put some structure into our evenings.

So far I'm thinking

movie nights,
    family board games,
    family bike ride,
    video chat with grandparents/ relatives (though this will only take 10 minutes or so; there's not much to talk about in our daily lives lately! ),
    practicing sports in backyard or at the park (soccer, baseball), and
    baking (hard to do with all three kids, though)...

What sorts of things are you doing as a family each night, in addition to the regular chores, after-dinner clean-up, homework, and bedtime stories?
    Especially with your older kids? If it were up to my kids, they'd go up to their rooms and sit on screens, but they already get plenty of screen time during the day. I'd like to use this time to get closer as a family, and also to have one-on-one activities with a parent and child, trading off.

Thanks for chiming in!

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly we still don't have much extra time!! But we are playing more board games together (I bought a checkers rug and taught DS how to play, he is really liking that right now) and reading more books together.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We totally don't have a ton of extra time. We finally have ENOUGH time. I actually love it. It may change our priorities post-COVID19.

Myira is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Time dilation... what are you doing with the kids (as a family) every night?

Same here, our activities have gone but I’m just as busy. I get off my work(guest bedroom) and enter the kitchen around 5. Then start working on getting dinner ready. I also try to do some studies with the kids if they are in the mood and I have any energy left. That’s it, then it’s dinner, and bed time.
    The past 2 evenings DS has been turning into a monster and driving us nuts with his incessant whining about something or the other
    Today DH took them for a walk while I got dinner ready. Most evenings they do just dance for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ourbabygirl View Post
    So far I'm thinking

movie nights,
    family board games,
    family bike ride,
    video chat with grandparents/ relatives (though this will only take 10 minutes or so; there's not much to talk about in our daily lives lately! ),
    practicing sports in backyard or at the park (soccer, baseball), and
    baking (hard to do with all three kids, though)...

What sorts of things are you doing as a family each night, in addition to the regular chores, after-dinner clean-up, homework, and bedtime stories?
    Especially with your older kids? If it were up to my kids, they'd go up to their rooms and sit on screens, but they already get plenty of screen time during the day. I'd like to use this time to get closer as a family, and also to have one-on-one activities with a parent and child, trading off.

Thanks for chiming in!
    This is exactly what we have been doing! Lots of bike rides, some golf, board games, movie/show night, etc. This part has been fun for the kids and the new routines are providing some needed normalcy.
    K

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are pretty busy here too. The kids still have a lot of homework and now most of their extracurricular activities are being conducted via Zoom. So just as much to do here minus the driving times!

We have all noticed though that we come out of our offices and rooms in the evening and want to just chill. So over the last few weeks we have been enjoying working our way watching all the Avengers and Marvel movies in chronological order. Some we own already, some we have found free to stream and some we are renting. We are pretty much through the movies so now we are doing a flashback on the Incredible Hulk. The reviews for the 2 most recent movies are pretty poor so instead we are now watching the early 80’s tv show with Bill Bixby. It’s playing on Netflix now. The kids think it’s a hoot. We have been watching a few episodes every night, giggling about how many shirts David Banner goes through and what a ladies’ man he is.

eta- I wanted to mention that more than ever before my kids want to pray. I think I’ve kept things pretty calm and sane here but they read the news and hear about others’ sufferings. We as a family used to just say a decade of the rosary each night but now we say the full rosary each night together. The kids have even been leading it and offering it for the many sick, those who are grieving, the healthcare workers, and the unemployed.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-03-2020 at 02:22 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The only thing that more than one of us do together is hang out in the jacuzzi, both during the day and at night. DH is still working full time at home so he's not staying up late and basically retreats to our bedroom after cleaning up after dinner. He doesn't go in the jacuzzi during the week. Neither does DS1 because of his eczema. But my mom and I plus DS2 go in almost daily. Other than that the only time we're really all together is at dinner, which is when we break out our Family Feud card game.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Remember those Nerf Laser guns you all recommended? That's been the family favorite activity for over a week. Combined with some Spy Gear Video walkie talkies, they run around our property with DH for an hour. They're asking for another set so I can join, but very high pollen levels have kept me inside for 2 weeks almost.

Other than that, chess, Life, Disney +, walks with DH (was me, but again...pollen)

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I feel like i have less time! Working more hours, earlier and later. Add in virtual learning for the kids too! DS2 has WAY too much screen time. He’s been watching movies with DH at night while i finish work. Business itself is ���� But way more work as a resultof layoffs, staying afloat, etc.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our distance learning is taking a lot of our time. DS2 gets distracted easily so I need to stay nearby to keep him on track. We’ve been getting out to ride backs every evening then it’s late dinner and late bedtime. I’m looking forward to the weekend!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast