Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Some silver linings right now?

COVID19 has turned everyone’s life upside down and many people are really struggling and suffering. Besides getting sick or losing jobs there is also the mental health cost. My DH’e anxiety has risen to new highs that I have never seen before in him. I imagine it’s hurting other people in new ways too.

Im hesitant then to mention that the social distancing and other effects of COVID19 have actually had some positive effects but I’ve seen other posters here mention some silver linings too. I don’t want to seem insensitive to anyone but I don’t think it hurts to consider and be grateful for some of the good ways this situation has changed our lives. Maybe some of those new positives will stick around once we go back to normal.

I’ll go first. My aunt and uncle own a trucking company and their business is booming. Low gasoline prices combined with an increase in shipping work and high unemployment rate mean they have lots of work and plenty of qualified employees to do that work. It can sometimes be a tough industry to be in but lately they are flourishing.

For our own family I love the time we are spending together. We have enjoyed baking together, watching movies together, taking walks and hikes as a family and feeling less stressed and pulled in all directions by activities. The reduction in that kind of stress for me has been fantastic for my weight and complexion.

A friend of mine said her family is noticing they can make do with less. They are cleaning out closets and the lack of open stores means fewer purchases. They have discussed how they just don’t need as much stuff to be happy.

She also noticed how much money she is saving in gasoline now working from home.

My kids have found new friends. Strange times have apparently created some new friendships and opened up new opportunities for them. My oldest one has become very close friends texting and chatting daily with a girl he liked who has been reaching out to him much more. My DS2 has made some new video game chat friends. They socialize more now than they ever did and seem much happier because of it.

Now that I’m homeschooling my twins, I have realized how brilliant my Ds3 is. I’ve always thought that because his grades are mediocre that he was a mediocre student who struggled. Um no. Definitely not mediocre. Just very bored. He is really bright and just isn’t motivated by grades at.all. I should have guessed because he is extremely witty and clever around his family members. I feel guilty for now realizing I never understood him. . I’m also wondering if my DD doesn’t have ADHD. She is very organized so she does well in class but her attention span is SHORT. I’ve been blaming her twin brother for causing a lot of his own distractions from work but I think she might actually be at fault. My eyes have really been opened.

Anyone else want to mention some of the new positives in their lives?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 10 yr old's teacher has not been a good fit for him and it's been a rough year for him. He misses his friends, but he is much happier and calmer now that I am his teacher. It's not to say we don't butt heads from time to time, but it's a more laid back working environment.

Also, I got temporarily transferred to a different school due to enrollment changes. My commute time went from 3 minutes to 45 minutes and it was really a struggle. I was only there for 3 weeks before school got closed. I miss seeing my students, but I'm so glad I no longer have to do a long drive every day.

We are saving money on daycare and gym fees and eating out. This made me realize how lucky we were that the house we were under contract for fell through (inspection issues) so we have one very affordable mortgage instead of two right now. And I haven’t had to wear makeup or professional looking clothes in about a month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Yes, definitely saving money on gas, entertainment, babysitters, and discretionary purchases in general since stores aren't open.
    Having more downtime with the kids.
    Helping me appreciate the little things more, and not take anything (especially our health) for granted!

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't think I'll save any money as long as Amazon is still working....
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been trying to find the positives. My children are spending great time with each other and are acting like teachers to each other. My cats have experienced lots of love. We are eating out less and driving less so that may mean financial savings. I have been catching up with old friends who I have not spoken to frequently in the past year or 10.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a job in technology field that I can do remotely 100% of the time. In the last year, with a new person in the management hierarchy who wanted folks coming in person, I was forced to go in. I am an introvert and have social anxiety, and we aren’t assigned fixed cubes or desks. All of us sit at a huge table barely 2 feet away and all of the fancy office furniture is extremely unergonomic. I hated every minute of being there.
    I am also just so much more productive when I don’t have to spend time on getting dressed, driving to work and as an introvert it’s takes energy to just be around people. So in that way I’m quite happy right now working from home where I can get all the peace in the world and just focus and get it done.

Not having to drive kids around to activities means we have so much more quality time to spend with them. They are quite ahead of their grade level and do not seem to be challenged enough in certain subjects like math. I enjoy working with them on challenging math and we are finding time to do that.

Those are my only 2 aspects of this otherwise stressful period that I can call silver linings.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Spending more time with my mom (normally she would visit once a month for a weekend).
    Saving a ton on gas and not spending 2-4 hours a day driving around in LA traffic!
    Having a twice a week Zoom date with my 5 best friends from home.
    Sleeping in every day.
    Having less rushed evenings.
    Being grateful we are all healthy.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DD was having some issues with friends/bullies at school -- that's been eliminated.

The chance to work with my kids on some things they haven't been pushed enough on at school.

I honestly love the break from the shuttling kids from after school activity to activity.

We have a beloved dog that is sick and probably doesn't have a lot more time. We're getting way more time with her and giving her way more attention than our normal busy lives allow.

I've had lots of time to talk with my parents (on the phone) -- more than normal lives.

Don't get me wrong - there are days that are so very, very hard right now. And I'm devastated to think of some of the personal and societal effects this pandemic is having on people around the world. But I do think it's helpful to stop and see these silver linings, so thanks for creating this post!
    Lizi

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids *might* be becoming friends. They really don't get along, due in part to their age gap, but they have done much better than I expected at playing together because they don't have a choice.

My DS1 has spent a lot of time outside on his bike.

My kids are getting more veggies every day, I'm using this time to help them learn to try new veggies.

My DH is in an industry that still needs him 100% and we don't have financial concerns, which I'm SO grateful for.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast