Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    787

    Default Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)

    So it looks like some employers are offering this, effective April 1. In summary, for those whose kids schools are closed, I think it means 2 weeks of paid sick leave, and then up to 10 weeks of emergency family leave, where you are paid 2/3 of your income, up to $200/day.

    As a single mom with two kids doing online schooling, I really want to utilize this. It's been a beast having to go into office 2 days per week and then teleworking the remainder of the time (with lots of work product due so my boss knows I'm *really* working). However, I am concerned about the finances, of course...who isn't. I think I can use my accrued leave to supplement the $200/day (to reach my typical salary) but I don't have that much leave, and I know I will need to use leave during the summer months.

    I'm thinking to just go for it, without supplementing with my leave credits, but am afraid I don't realize how tight I will be, financially. I've spent so much $$ on food this week (my first trip to grocery store in 2 weeks), plus random amazon/panic purchases (like almost $100 on baclavas since we have no masks and I wanted something as an option!)

    I assume out of the $4000 (for four work weeks), they will still take out all my typical deductions (for medical, union, flex elect, etc) as well as taxes? It won't be enough (rent alone is $2500), unless I eat up all my savings...but I guess these times are unprecedented, and I feel like my kids deserve some of my time during this. How many others are considering this? What are your considerations as to whether to participate or not?

  2. #2
    gymnbomb is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,178

    Default

    How much longer is your kids school year? Would it really be 12 weeks? Or would doing 6-8 weeks be enough to make a big difference for you while minimizing the pay loss?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    4,553

    Default

    Do you have to take it all at once or could you use 1 day a week? If you can use 1 day a week, maybe take 2h a day off instead? I dont know how old your kids are or how self sufficient. Honestly, I'd be very nervous to take a bunch of time off as a 1 salary household kwim?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and 2 cocker spaniels

  4. #4
    ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    787

    Default

    We're officially out of school for the rest of the year (June 10). My kids are 9 and 15, so the older is fine. The 9 y.o. is getting by, but definitely not doing well. I am trying to find out if i can spread it out a bit (work a few days week, etc). An hour or two off per day won't be worth it - the work expectations are just too high, so I wind up spending more time to have enough work product to submit. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
    Posts
    9,761

    Default

    My worry would be using it all up now and then possibly getting sick with Covid or one of your kids, and not having anymore time off when you REALLY need it. Or would that not be an issue? From DH's friend's experience, this illness can drag out for 3 full weeks. Also, if you get sick you may end up spending way more on groceries because you'd have to rely solely on grocery delivery and restaurant delivery. I'm assuming that the virus is all around us and that we will all be exposed eventually. I'd want to be in the best financial shape leading up to then. But if you could spread it out and just work 1-2 less days a week I think that would be more ideal.

    Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 04-04-2020 at 04:19 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

  6. #6
    ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    787

    Default

    True - and it would be horrible to get sick and not have leave. It's unclear if our regular leave accrues while we participate in this program or not. I think I am leaning towards to working 3 days and taking 2 off each week. It won't be as much of break as what I think I want, but it's a decent option and and it will keep me from going into the office (which is required for me as an "essential" worker...unless I take time off).

  7. #7
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    18,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Do you have to take it all at once or could you use 1 day a week? If you can use 1 day a week, maybe take 2h a day off instead? I dont know how old your kids are or how self sufficient. Honestly, I'd be very nervous to take a bunch of time off as a 1 salary household kwim?
    I've been wondering about this too.

    for Sandy Hook



  8. #8
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,637

    Default

    See Q. 20 here: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pan...fcra-questions

    In short, employers are encouraged to allow intermittent teleworking (even partial days) for the child care leave. Note though - the first 10 days are unpaid. You have to use exisiting PTO for that, go unpaid, or use the FFRCA sick leave - but you may need that later.

    The sick leave cannot be used intermittently, unless you work from home. See Q. 21 at the link above.

  9. #9
    ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    See Q. 20 here: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pan...fcra-questions

    In short, employers are encouraged to allow intermittent teleworking (even partial days) for the child care leave. Note though - the first 10 days are unpaid. You have to use exisiting PTO for that, go unpaid, or use the FFRCA sick leave - but you may need that later.

    The sick leave cannot be used intermittently, unless you work from home. See Q. 21 at the link above.

    Thank you! This link is super helpful. Any chance you can comment on Q.47? I was thinking to extend my family leave, teleworking intermittently, so I can supplement my income and use the family leave through summer. But after reading Q.47, I was reminded that while schools are technically closed during summer, it may not be considered for COVID related reasons...which is a requirement for this emergency leave. Any idea of whether we will be able to the emergency FMLA during the summer? If not,then maybe I should just use it all now, so I can take more time off to be with kids, my 4th grader can really use some academic supplementing (though finances are still an issue). Otoh, I guess we really don't know what the Fall is going to look like either, so I may need to use it later this year as well. I see the expiration is Dec 2020.

  10. #10
    ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    Thank you! This link is super helpful. Any chance you can comment on Q.47? I was thinking to extend my family leave, teleworking intermittently, so I can supplement my income and use the family leave through summer. But after reading Q.47, I was reminded that while schools are technically closed during summer, it may not be considered for COVID related reasons...which is a requirement for this emergency leave. Any idea of whether we will be able to the emergency FMLA during the summer? If not,then maybe I should just use it all now, so I can take more time off to be with kids, my 4th grader can really use some academic supplementing (though finances are still an issue). Otoh, I guess we really don't know what the Fall is going to look like either, so I may need to use it later this year as well. I see the expiration is Dec 2020.
    The emergency FMLA leave applies when school is closed and/or child care is unavailable due to COVID-19. It could very well be available during summer break- it would just hinge on child care then and not COVID-19. It's worth noting that you need to document it somehow, but there is a lot of flexibility there. An email from a child care provider would likely do the trick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •