Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have any plans for a garden this summer? Concerns about fresh produce?

I do have a tendency toward paranoia, I know. I’ve been reading the news about fresh produce suppliers like Driscolls and the steps they are taking to secure healthy field workers. I have a few concerns about whether they will be able to keep sick workers isolated, if sick workers will infect my produce, or even if a majority of their workers get sick, will they be able to keep up production?

Anyone else have any similar concerns? I guess I’m also concerned because I see our grocery stores struggling to keep up. We only have 25 cases of COVID19 here and 2/3 of those are recovered. But if more cases come in, his will that affect getting groceries? Will I want to stay in and distance our family even more?

I haven’t planted a garden in 20 years. We have the room here but we have a LOT of wildlife. I suspect I’d have to go all out with the chicken wire to keep the bunnies and deer out of the garden. I think I could get tomatoes and zucchini to grow. But what I’d really like is some type of lettuce. I’ve never grown that before though and know nothing about it.

Any thoughts about this? Any one here think I’m overreacting (be frank but be kind)? Anyone else had similar concerns? Anyone have advice about planting a garden?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-04-2020 at 10:41 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We have a massive vegetable garden- some years are better than others. Lettuce is crazy easy to grow, it likes it cool and wet though so I would plant it now- we have it spring and fall but it is usually too hot in mid summer. Yes, fencing will be necessary if you have wildlife- it is a constant battle for us. I don't really have a lot of concern about produce supply but since I am home I am definitely stepping up garden prep. My advice would be to start small- one raised bed would give you plenty of lettuce and you could stick in a tomato plant or two as well. Zucchini is beyond easy of course, but it takes a fair amount of room and I have a hard time getting my family to eat much of it.

Dh has a small garden every year inside our fence, but wildlife is still an issue. Never tried lettuce. He does have plans to go bigger this year, but because it gives a useful activity to do outside while we are at home and this is going to go on for a long time. It wouldn’t be enough to keep us from a store, but we need stuff to break up the long summer days. We have way more cases in our area and there’s not much more we could cut out to further social distance our family. (Cut out the neighborhood exercise and the 1 every 2 week grocery. But dh will have to go out more now to buy supplies for more containers). There hasn’t been a problem with stores as far as fresh food in our area after the first week, but I do worry about supply. You need fresh to make canned and frozen for hoarding and I read where we as a community bought 4 months worth of food within a week.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m not sure how big we will go but DH and the kids have started with seeds this year versus buying small plants. We have quite a few. I would like to see them go bigger.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I’m very interested in something like the tower garden or lettucegrow for our back deck. We don’t have a good spot otherwise. I don’t worry too much about produce at this point but growing our own produce would be something I would like to do anyway and this seems like a great time to get it set up.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our neighbors have had a garden, but they have had to build them up and cover with cucjeb wire etc as the bunnies are out of control here, literally two bunnies in my yard right now. I don't have the skills or desire to work that hard for a fee fresh vegetables.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Im in a tiny townhouse. We have no yard and no space for a garden. There are over 5000 cases in my county, and rapidly climbing. My only way to get food is to go to the store as there are no delivery time available for any store in my area. It is what it is. I wear a mask and gloves and then wash up and take a shower when I get home. Our stores are iffy on what they have, but produce seems to be fine. It is bread and boxed goods that run low. The doctors are saying that your risk of exposure goes up if encounters with a person are over 10 minutes and you are closer than 6 feet away. As a result, I don’t get overly nervous about a quick grocery store trip every two weeks as long as I take precautions.

Yes but we had already had plans before this occurred - started last year and finally now have it all planned and the ground ready. Just need to finish building the cedar boxes and have started the seeds.

There's nothing like fresh produce. I can't stand tomatoes from the store - such a world of difference to have a homegrown one.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have any plans for a garden this summer? Concerns about fresh produce?

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Im in a tiny townhouse. We have no yard and no space for a garden. There are over 5000 cases in my county, and rapidly climbing. My only way to get food is to go to the store as there are no delivery time available for any store in my area. It is what it is. I wear a mask and gloves and then wash up and take a shower when I get home. Our stores are iffy on what they have, but produce seems to be fine. It is bread and boxed goods that run low. The doctors are saying that your risk of exposure goes up if encounters with a person are over 10 minutes and you are closer than 6 feet away. As a result, I don’t get overly nervous about a quick grocery store trip every two weeks as long as I take precautions.
    We have a house, but not enough space to have a garden either and I very much agree with the above. I am in and out of the store of quickly now which is great because before I would linger about and think of things I might need, but now I just buy for what I need in a week to 10 days and leave.

My parents have a garden and have good luck with tomatoes, lettuce, snow peas, zucchini, kohlrabi, beets, and carrots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We do a pretty large garden every year. There’s already a shortage of seeds. You pretty much cannot but any online. DH was able to find some at a local garden store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast