Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DH and I are interested in a veggie garden this year. We've previously made our own earth boxes, but now that we have a lot more land, we are thinking abour raised box veggie gardening. The issue is that our property is like a wildlife sanctuary, meaning we have a ton of critters, so my biggest concern right now is trying to figure out what that means in terms of fencing...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My small attempts at gardening have always failed, but we are going to try again at container gardening (our backyard is all pool and turf now). We have little science experiments going right now of growing new green onions and celery from kitchen scraps. Will try lettuce next. Then the seeds I ordered weeks ago will arrive this week. Have no idea if anything will work but will be another thing to keep us busy. I bought some cheap thick felt like gardening containers on Amazon vs using something hard sided and more expensive.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a garden every year, but we've always started with plants, not seed. It's going to have to be seed this year. We expect some failure, but if a $4 packet of seed only gets us four plants, that's still cheaper than plants, I guess. It's kind of wait and see.

Victory gardens are back! The seed companies are selling more seeds than ever so you are not alone in your thinking. But I think most people are worried more about supply chain issues. We had a small garden a few years ago but are planning one this year as we have a ton of time to start seeds. We have to do raised beds due to our soil and space issues.

We are on 2.5 acres and have wildlife (deer, rabbits, foxes, etc.), so we’d need a 6+ foot high fence. We are going to do containers on the deck...fresh stuff like tomatoes, lettuce, and herbs. We’ve done that in the past but not recently. I’d love to have a real garden, but DH isn’t interested, and I can’t build the fence myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

DD and i weeded our flower beds and planted lettuce, peas and carrots yesterday. I had in the shed a seed starting kit and we'll plant tomatoes, squash and cucumbers in those since it's too early to put those out in VA. Lettuce is very easy to grow!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks for all the encouragement! As for planting, I’m in Wisconsin. There is still snow on the ground and it snowed (and stayed on the ground) Friday night. How do I know when to start planting? We will probably start with seeds.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Thanks for all the encouragement! As for planting, I’m in Wisconsin. There is still snow on the ground and it snowed (and stayed on the ground) Friday night. How do I know when to start planting? We will probably start with seeds.
    I just googled "when to plant a garden in Wisconsin" and there was a lot of info, including a chart with specific vegetables and when to plant seed vs. plant.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hey Gatorsmom, we are starting our seeds this weekend, in the little pots that degrade, for much the same reason. They sit in lids from plastic storage containers on windowsills until the weather is more settled, we had freezing weather this week too. Just a few of each kind - we plant in waves anyway, so it doesn't all get ripe at the same time. In ten days or so, we'll plant another set of pots, and after that we can hopefully plant in the ground for the third "wave".
    We've not started with seeds before, just plant starts - I hope it works! But this is what Grandma said to do... and she tends to be right!

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I grew up in Iowa and lived in WI for many, many years after I attended college there. My mom always said that Memorial weekend was the safest for planting a garden. She has had a 1-2 acre garden my whole life, even now. She just doesn’t trust the occurring of frost which often happens well into “Spring”.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast