Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Summer garage sales

This is typically the time of year when I go through the kids clothes and take the items that are too small and make piles for our garage sale. I am not one to frequent garage sales, but our town hosts one that gets quite a bit of traffic, and I usually make quite a bit of cash (last year I made over $400 in two days).

Do you think in light of COVID-19, garage sales will even be a thing this summer?

For those of you who would typically stop at a few garage sales, are you rethinking it now? I am just trying to gauge how much effort I want to put into this.

I rarely see garage sales any more. Most around here use FB groups and purge as you need.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow, that’s a lot of money!
    I think they would still happen, outdoors and more like June at the earliest.
    K

I’m not thinking ahead beyond end of May yet. We are in a state that still has a return to school date, although I don’t think we will go back that date. It’s too early for me to think about how things will be this summer. I expect April will be brutal and probably May as well. At some point people will re-emerge though and who knows how many “normal” things will return.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am seriously wondering about consignment sales and the like too. My thought was that it doesn't hurt to go ahead and get those items out of your kids' closets while you have the time...and when donation place open up again, you can donate if you decide a garage sale isn't worth the risk.

We usually just pack it all away and save it for our 2x/year sale, but I did keep my eyes open for someone who may have a need. A nurse who takes care of my elderly neighbor got to take an entire bin of Imaginext to her 4yo son, as did a friend from church...and someone adopting a kid from another country made out with a ton of summer boy clothes that we dropped on her porch, with permission.

While I agree the money is good, it does feel good to round up the items and just pass them on.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    I rarely see garage sales any more. Most around here use FB groups and purge as you need.
    Really? Garage and estate sales are definitely still a big thing in my area. I would think FB groups would be a different thing entirely. Those are useful when you are getting rid of a few items. When you have piles of stuff to purge, it would take forever to individually photograph and list them all.

As for this summer - who knows?? It is impossible to predict when things will get back to "normal." And will vary by state/city/area.

If you are definitely going to be getting rid of it anyway, I'd still go through it and pull everything you want gone. You can save it for a later date, send it to ThredUp, pass it on to a friend. Or maybe your sale will indeed happen. No point in trying to predict the future.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think garage sales may be bigger this summer than usual. So many people are going to be hit hard by loosing work hours right now, they are going to be looking to add extra income and trying to sell what they formerly would just donate.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I think garage sales may be bigger this summer than usual. So many people are going to be hit hard by loosing work hours right now, they are going to be looking to add extra income and trying to sell what they formerly would just donate.
    I think so too. Everyone I know here is purging. I've given some things out for free in my neighborhood, but a lot is getting boxed up. All the thrift stores are closed so I'll either wait until they open again or just have a garage sale. I might do the sale first and donate what is left.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Kris

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Most of our local garage sales are in late April and May so I'm guessing this year will be a bust. I'm planning to sell a few lots of things as porch pickup in local groups, especially warm weather clothes. I figure people don't want to go to stores right now so it might be a good time to sell a sized box of shorts, short sleeve shirts, etc.

I don't go to yard sales, but I see tons of signs for individual sales for them in my neighborhood from late spring to October. My subdivision also does a community sale usually in July. I agree that they will likely be even more popular this is summer, at least around here.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast