Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Where to find rubbing alcohol or what subsitutions?

I have been using rubbing alcohol for wiping down surfaces. I had a bottle at home and have about another week's worth. All stores local to me are out of it (at least that I have found and called). Dd and I both get headaches and other bad reactions to even small amounts of bleach. I know there are some disinfectant wipes that are good, but cant find most of them either. Any ideas on how to get the rubbing alcohol or what to do? On amazon, they have some alcohol wipes, but I know people have had difficulty with getting fake products from amazon and am afraid of that with this type of situation. Thanks!

ETA: On a local group, people seem to be using something called Everclear, which I guess is used to make alcoholic drinks. Does anyone know anything about this?
    Last edited by JustMe; 04-05-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Try this https://www.nowinstock.net/. I was able to score some toilet paper yesterday with their Discord bot notifications (I don't think notifications are available for all cleaners though).

If you are staying at home though, do you really need to disinfect surfaces every day? I just use water for the most part, or dish soap and water if the surface is dirty. I only sanitize (I use Clorox wipes) when I bring in groceries that have been delivered. What other cleaning products do you have in your home already?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    If you are staying at home though, do you really need to disinfect surfaces every day? I just use water for the most part, or dish soap and water if the surface is dirty. I only sanitize (I use Clorox wipes) when I bring in groceries that have been delivered. What other cleaning products do you have in your home already?
    These are my thoughts too. We're not using Clorox wipes, alcohol, or bleach on anything. I'm still cleaning my kitchen and dining room surfaces with my regular spray of half vinegar, half water. The bathrooms get cleaned with our regular bathroom cleaners, although DS2's regular daily chore is to wipe down the bathroom sink and toilet with a bathroom cleaning wipe (non Clorox).

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    These are my thoughts too. We're not using Clorox wipes, alcohol, or bleach on anything. I'm still cleaning my kitchen and dining room surfaces with my regular spray of half vinegar, half water. The bathrooms get cleaned with our regular bathroom cleaners, although DS2's regular daily chore is to wipe down the bathroom sink and toilet with a bathroom cleaning wipe (non Clorox).

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Yes this is a great point! I only worry about disinfecting surfaces after getting back from the grocery store or from getting takeout. Otherwise, we're at home, no one is sick, no need to disinfect.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Everclear is almost 200proof ethanol, which translates to 98%. I would save your rubbing alcohol and any bleach solutions just for things your bring into the house from the outside. If you are not going out, you don't need to disinfect.

If you want to use alcohol to disinfect things you can use ethanol or isopropyl (rubbing), you need it to be at least 80%, which translates to 160proof.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What stores are you checking? Here, grocery-type stores are out, but I've found isopropyl alcohol at Walgreen's and Rite aid. Try the drug store, if you haven't yet.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    What stores are you checking? Here, grocery-type stores are out, but I've found isopropyl alcohol at Walgreen's and Rite aid. Try the drug store, if you haven't yet.
    None to be found at my local CVS a couple of weeks ago (although they might have restocked). All the liquid disinfectants were totally gone.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

DH had luck finding rubbing alcohol at a dollar-type store that’s outside of our normal shopping area.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks so much for the responses!

I don't wipe down surfaces when we have not gone out, but I do go out for groceries (and then unload them here), will be also be going out this week to get devices from my kids' schools for their on-line learning, etc.

I had checked every local store but Walmart yesterday, and found out from a local source that they had rubbing alcohol. I never shop at Walmart, but off I went. I regret it as things were not being done well in terms of social distancing, so I am a little freaked out but nothing I can do about it now.
    Last edited by JustMe; 04-06-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, and I got a gallon of hand sanitizer from Froggys Fog a few days ago. https://www.froggysfog.com/sanitizer.html It is pretty liquidy compared to what we are used to but it will do. You could probably use it for surfaces as it is 80% alcohol (ethanol I believe). I'lll try to find the coupon code from Slick Deals that I used.

Edit, you can try code WEBSP for $4.00 off but Slick Deals said it is currently expired. Still, $40 for a gallon of hand sanitizer isn't bad in my opinion. Or you can buy 4 gallons for $140.

Hmmm..I'm now seeing post on SlickDeals that this stuff smells terrible. I haven't opened it yet but I think I will be ordering some essential oil to mask any odor!
    Last edited by JElaineB; 04-05-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast