Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Problems with Zoom meetings?

Since there are now headlines about Zoom meetings being hacked, are you still using that platform for online activities? I tried to use it last week for a GS meeting, but am still trying to navigate how to use different features on it. I need to learn how to lock down the option to do independent chats, as some of the girls spent their time doing that instead of engaging with the rest of us. I do have it set up with a special link to join and a password to join, think I will enable to waiting room option as well, but it seems like those security features may still not be enough to keep hackers out and from posting inappropriate stuff? Just curious if others have stopped using it for the time being (and if you stopped using it, what do you use instead), or if there are other security features I can use to make sure our meetings are protected.

Honestly, I'm not sure if my troop is very interested in continue to meet this way, only 4 out of 10 girls logged in last week and no one really wanted to talk or share. This week I was going to have them work on a a free Harry Potter escape room I found online, just to give them something different to do. I thought they would want to just chat with each other, but they are 6th and 7th graders and are hard to motivate to do things sometimes! I don't really see us using virtual meetings to actually accomplish anything GS related right now, but thought it would be a nice social opportunity for them.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My school district is still using it for the kids.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Same, for now. They are heavily pushing google classroom so I won't be shocked if they switch.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Since there are now headlines about Zoom meetings being hacked, are you still using that platform for online activities? I tried to use it last week for a GS meeting, but am still trying to navigate how to use different features on it. I need to learn how to lock down the option to do independent chats, as some of the girls spent their time doing that instead of engaging with the rest of us. I do have it set up with a special link to join and a password to join, think I will enable to waiting room option as well, but it seems like those security features may still not be enough to keep hackers out and from posting inappropriate stuff? Just curious if others have stopped using it for the time being (and if you stopped using it, what do you use instead), or if there are other security features I can use to make sure our meetings are protected.
    I am using Zoom today for my Scouts' meeting.

I've set it up to require a meeting code & alphanumeric password and that invitees cannot join before I have logged in ... also, that everyone goes into a "waiting room" before the meeting can begin.

Zoom said that, effective 5th April 2020, the "waiting room" will be the default.

You can turn off 1:1 chat in the settings for your account. I just did for my account.

Honestly, I'm not sure if my troop is very interested in continue to meet this way, only 4 out of 10 girls logged in last week and no one really wanted to talk or share. This week I was going to have them work on a a free Harry Potter escape room I found online, just to give them something different to do. I thought they would want to just chat with each other, but they are 6th and 7th graders and are hard to motivate to do things sometimes! I don't really see us using virtual meetings to actually accomplish anything GS related right now, but thought it would be a nice social opportunity for them.
    Out of 15, I had 7 girls join our Google Hangouts meeting and we went over how we wanted to complete our Journey project (we are doing Think Like a Citizen Scientist and had to cancel our special meeting to do our Stream Selfie on 3/15 due to stay-at-home orders from the governor) ... but mine are younger, so they all wanted to talk/share and do things.

We will be checking in with each other, asking about cool assignments from school, fun things they've been able to do offline, and ways to complete our Take Action Project remotely.

I'm also posting videos of the tests for our rubber-band paddle boat design challenge so the girls can re-design on their own time this week - it's spring break for most of my girls, so they've got A LOT of free time on their hands.

Are the girls at all interested in free virtual programming from Girl Scouts? A lot of councils across the US are offering virtual programming (for free!) that can be accessed through social media or web-conferencing platforms. My council (Girl Scouts of Central & Southern NJ) is offering roughly 14 programs per week, with afternoon programming directed at individual Scout levels (i.e. - Daisies on Monday; Brownies on Tuesday; Juniors on Wednesday; etc.) and evening programming directed at all levels, including a virtual campfire every Friday night.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    ... They are heavily pushing google classroom so I won't be shocked if they switch.
    We weren't using Zoom; we were using Google Meet and FlipGrid. Meet is built into G-Suite accounts, which the district uses because they have Chromebooks.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

DD(8) is using Zoom for gymnastics team workouts each day as well as school meetings. The gym has moved to requiring a password for each meeting whereas I do not think her teacher has done so.

I think it is fantastic that you are continuing to try and engage the girls. That's a hard age. I wish my boys had something more structured, either through school or club soccer. Our school district hasn't really started anything yet - spring break this week, then assignments start next week. So many kids wouldn't be able to participate since we have a large population without devices and/or internet so I understand.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Duplicate post
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I refuse to use zoom or other platform at work in a 1:1 setting. There’s too many safety issues. We were told to trial some sessions. A colleague had a middle schooler in bed without a shirt on. A teacher has parent zooming with Kindergartener only in his underwear. Always make sure you have a group and not be alone with one child

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    We are using both, for different things. It's kind of exhausting keeping track of all the different technology they are using.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have 9th grade Senior Girl Scouts. We have had 2 zoom meetings. I have a troop of 6 girls. The first meeting was scheduled for 2 hours as a virtual meeting for an already planned First Aid/Women's health meeting. I asked the girls if they wanted to meet and if they wanted to still do the badges. All of the girls said they wanted to meet and 3 girls who voiced opinion about going forward with the badge discussions wanted to still work on the badges. A nurse friend of mine met with us. The two hour meeting went more than 3 hours. After we finished the badge discussion, we discussed some troop business, but then I just let the girls chat. We had an almost 4 hour zoom. All 6 participated, but I think one girl had a lot of pressure from her mom to join the zoom.

We had a game night last Friday and played Jackbox via zoom. It was almost 11pm when I noticed the time and encouraged them to wrap it up. Only 5 of the girls participated in game night.

I think using tools like zoom is important right now.... particularly for older Girl Scout troops. I am going to continue to have every-other Sunday afternoon meetings with them that is Girl Scout focused -- our next meeting is going to focus on helping the girls identify issues for Gold Award and also look at ways we can help in our community right now. I am going to encourage them to meet sometime during the off week for some type of social time. Our council has ended in-person Girl Scout programming through May 31st. We are still waiting to learn if summer camps/trips will be cancelled..... but, I think the ones my girls are registered to attend will be cancelled. We have a troop trip and a troop money-earning event in July. The trip may still happen (its just a trip to our family lake house, so logistics are easy), but the event is a Brownie journey that usually 50 brownies plus adults attend. I'm conflicted about whether wait and see (which means we need to promote the event and plan) or cancel and minimize the stress due to uncertainty...... with all of the Girl Scout programs cancelled, I think it is especially important to meet to help your girls maintain identity as a troop. I also think while we are practicing safe-distancing for physical health, it is important to have regular social interaction for mental/emotional health.

As far as badge work, some of my girls are also working on a room decorating badge (at least half of the girls are redecorating their rooms right now anyway). They've had fun giving us tours of their rooms and what changes they have made or are making. They also talked about starting the cross training badge and being accountability partners to encourage fitness when they are home. If your girls haven't earned Simple Meals badge, they might enjoy taking turns showing each other how to make a dish or show a dish they made and talk about and then have a virtual dinner party. When stay-at home is lifted, you could all plan a real dinner party or a progressive dinner party and taste everyone's food.

Let me know how your Harry Potter meeting turns out. I am curious if it is something older girls would like to do or if it is geared more to upper elementary. I am also curious about how much prep work is required and how hard it is to run.

Good Luck and Thanks for volunteering!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast