Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We planned our annual vacation for one week later this year in August. It’s domestic and I’m hopeful it will be fine by then. We could do grocery pick-up and pretty much just be around family I think.
    K

We were scheduled to go to Asia in late May/early June. I've canceled the hotel bookings, and I've started to cancel some of the flights as well. We are only getting refunds in the form of airline credit, and I don't know if I want to get on an airplane before there is a vaccine or cure since DH is at high risk of complications. We may have no choice but to throw away thousands of dollars worth of airline tickets.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We reserved a large house in France for 2 weeks May/June (and had made the last payment on it) when this started. We were planning to celebrate our 20hh Th anniversary and invited 15 couples to stay with us. They all had airfare and rental cars too. Two weeks ago we postponed it to 2021. The French owner of the house was very, very nice about it. We have invited all the same friends and family but unfortunately DH’s aunt and uncle are in their 80’s and this is a hard trip for them. So we don’t know yet if they will be able to come. Our airfare was reimbursed but DH had got such a great deal that it’s doubtful we will be able to repeat that luck. It’s a bummer. I was looking forward to that trip. The rest of our plans this summer are for scout camps. DD just joined the BSA scouts (her 3 brothers are already in it) and so all 4 of our kids will be doing summer camp at the same time. Unless those are canceled too.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-06-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We were supposed to fly back to Chicago to visit my family in June as soon as we finished school. At this point, we’ve already canceled. My DS is high risk and I don’t think we would feel comfortable traveling then, if we are even able to then. We were looking forward to a Cubs game at Wriggley field, so I’m really bummed about that.

So many things canceled! DS is a senior, his grad trip with his best friends and their mentor is off. DH and DS were scheduled to be in South Africa in July, and DD and I would have spent the month with family in my hometown on Cape Cod. That was called off this morning. DS’s last summer camp and DD’s first - the only time they would ever go together. Moving my mom and our last trip to her house in Florida, taking her to California and seeing my sister. Only thing still on the schedule is our last week of summer at the Oregon coast with our best friends. Not sure how much to hope for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    We were scheduled to go to Asia in late May/early June. I've canceled the hotel bookings, and I've started to cancel some of the flights as well. We are only getting refunds in the form of airline credit, and I don't know if I want to get on an airplane before there is a vaccine or cure since DH is at high risk of complications. We may have no choice but to throw away thousands of dollars worth of airline tickets.
    Wencit - I’m sorry. We were set to go away in March and had to cancel and now have credits. I would have preferred refunds but I took the credits as our flights were no refundable. Are your carriers domestic? If they are and you wait until they cancel the flights, you should be able to get refunds rather than credits. The credits are good for a year from original booking but would hopefully be extended as this continues. Fingers crossed it goes your way!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have airline credits from spring break. We were really lucky that all of our hotels, rental cars were refunded. I’m really hoping it will be safe to travel in August so we don’t lose our credits. DC and I spend most of the summer traveling. Our plans are all made but it’s doubtful we’ll be getting on planes this summer. I scored great flights for all our trips this summer. I was super thrilled and doubt I’ll be able to find similar fares when we rebook. I’m hoping the airlines will cancel the flights so we can get refunds rather than credits.

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    You should wait until last possible minute to cancel flights in hopes of getting a refund - otherwise you will only get vouchers. DOT is getting tough on airlines that are being slow to offer refunds when there are flight cancellations. This also applies if the flight is delayed by a few hours.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH was trying to figure out how to squeeze in a Disney trip in July, but we are no longer considering this.

My big concern right now is whether DD's summer camp plans will be impacted - we've reserved spots in 3 or 4 programs at the camp she's attended since the summer between 1st & 2nd grades - the first week is at the end of June.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We don't typically book any of our summer travel until March and in March there was enough uncertainty that we decided we were not going to make plans for the summer. I think at BEST we would be able to do a road trip somewhere within the state but to be honest even that makes me a little nervous (staying at hotels, eating out, public bathrooms, etc). A friend of mine reserved an RV for a summer road trip. That sounds fun, but dealing with the RV, driving it, etc would stress me out just as much but it's a creative idea!

Summer camp seems to be a no go - so many are already cancelled here. So for now we are planning a staycation and will rope the kids into doing some home projects with us (e.g. painting).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast