Default Passover Seder substitutions due to limited groceries

Preface that we're not very religious, and don't keep Passover in our home - however, we do typically host Seders. Doing a virtual one this year. Had originally planned to go to the grocery story by Wednesday, but because we're really doing our part fo shelter in place, and I wouldn't otherwise need to go until at least the weekend, I'm going to wing it without going.

A couple of concerns: I don't have any apples (or pears). Anyone have an Charoset recipe that uses something other than those? Maybe applesauce? I'm trying to think outside the box. What about substitutes for parsley (also out)? I'm trying to think outside the box, while maintaining the spirit of the Seder plate (and the menu - it's the one time a year we eat gefilte fish, which DD LOVES, but I'm just sacrificing that entirely).

Any other suggestions or ideas for what you are doing would be welcomed, too, as we're all getting creative with many this year!

Be well, stay safe, find some peace.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbert View Post
    ... What about substitutes for parsley (also out)? ...
    Is the parsley for the bitter greens? I think you could sub in something like kale or even spinach.

As for the charoset, do you have dried fruit - raisins, apricots, etc. ? You could soak them in the wine & use that as your base instead of fresh apple/pear. This article from Chabad looks promising: https://www.chabad.org/recipes/recip...et-Recipes.htm
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am doing basics. Matzah ball soup and a roast chicken. I am not going to really worry about my seder plate. You could use celery instead of parsley. Any fruit would be fine for the charoset, even applesauce. Just something sweet.

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can use romaine lettuce for the parsley.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just had some arugula the dinner, and it would most definitely fill the "bitter herb" needs.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hope everyone has a Happy Passover! It will certainly be different than all other Passovers.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Hope everyone has a Happy Passover! It will certainly be different than all other Passovers.
    And now we have a new plague

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains